News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

awsome sidecar tiger build

Started by treewright, July 10, 2012, 05:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

Here's a very pertinent question our learned colleague Mustang raised.

With rigs there is much more lateral cornering force exerted on the rims, particularly on the rear, that load the rim perpendicular to the rotation plane, exerting greater forces than would normally be experienced riding solo with the bike tipped over. With a good grippy car tyre on the rear that probably increases the forces even more.

Unlikely to be an issue with cast rims but spoked rims are another ball game. What are your (Tripod) experiences with that, particularly since you have pushed it both on and off road more than most. Any experience with broken, bent or spokes loosening?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tripodtiger

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 06, 2014, 10:59:16 AM
Here's a very pertinent question our learned colleague Mustang raised.

With rigs there is much more lateral cornering force exerted on the rims, particularly on the rear, that load the rim perpendicular to the rotation plane, exerting greater forces than would normally be experienced riding solo with the bike tipped over. With a good grippy car tyre on the rear that probably increases the forces even more.

Unlikely to be an issue with cast rims but spoked rims are another ball game. What are your (Tripod) experiences with that, particularly since you have pushed it both on and off road more than most. Any experience with broken, bent or spokes loosening?

Belated response, my apologies.

Fact is that Leigh built a 15" 'solid' wheel for the back of mine not long after the first sidecar body was attached to the Tiger.  It wasn't so much that I was really concerned about the wire wheel, it was more an issue for tyre life.  The way I ride it, I was getting maybe 2000km from a rear bike tyre.  One tyre wore out in 1200km.

I was always concerned that the rear spoke wheel may suffer from the places I try to take it.  Contrary to that, the lateral loads on bitumen may be higher than on dirt roads.  I suspect that because I find it much easier to ride on an unsealed road, where the three tyres are able to slide, compared with a sealed road where they are all gripping.  The duration of the turn is also an issue.  Dirt road curves are often of less radius than sealed road turns. Speed is generally less too.

The impact loads on rough roads & tracks are a separate consideration, I think.

Next you could consider what happens when the turning / lateral and impact /radial loads are simultaneous.  Maybe it's better that we don't look  :icon_eek:   ( :sign13 I can see a video being mounted under the bike).

Bear in mind that I have no numbers in evidence of anything above, just 'seat of the pants' physics.

Regarding the front and sidecar wheels?  Not a drama.  No bent spokes, no dented rims.

In the end, it may only be a matter of one's confidence in the equipment.  I'm confident that the solid rear wheel, with a car tyre, is stronger and more reliable than a wire motorcycle wheel.  And I get decent mileage.  And car tyres are cheaper than bike tyres.  That confidence is probably worth everything.

Leigh picked up a cast wheel for the new outfit, so he didn't need to build one, just the adaptor bits.  The fact that it looks horn is just a coincidence.
I think that this is the wheel he is using.  As ever, I could be mistaken.

http://www.antiquetyres.com.au/launcher

cheers
rayb
'73 RD250, '80 XS11, '81 RD350LC,
'96 Steamer - 'Tiger Trek' outfit.
'02 Girly - 'Envy'
"Faster Daddy, Faster!" (aged 7?)

Sin_Tiger

All good stuff. I've pretty much made up my mind to sick with the wire rim, all be it with a wider rim built with heavy duty stainless spokes and a car tyre.

Thanks for the feedback  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...