News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

06 Tiger has devloped a "miss".

Started by Fe Man, July 23, 2012, 09:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loops

If you don't want to pull the head but are ok with dropping out the engine, simply try turning the engine up-side-down.

See what falls out of the spark-plug hole.

Oh drain the oil & coolant first.

Then do a compression test and compare with other cylinders.

Good Luck

Loops
PS was going to suggest turning the whole bike up-side-down but that seems a bit silly.
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)

Fe Man

I'm going to fish all I can out of the motor, do a compression test and then based on what I find, change the oil and run it.
I always run Mobil 1 10-40 but can't see using $55 worth of oil to flush the motor.

Any suggestions as to a cheap oil to run for a quick flush?

Bixxer Bob

How about flushing oil????

If you google Shell flushing oil there's aPDF to read.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: Fe Man on September 18, 2012, 05:33:47 PM
I'm going to fish all I can out of the motor, do a compression test and then based on what I find, change the oil and run it.
I always run Mobil 1 10-40 but can't see using $55 worth of oil to flush the motor.

Fe Man

Quote from: Mustang on September 18, 2012, 08:49:17 PM
Quote from: Fe Man on September 18, 2012, 05:33:47 PM

?

Mustang

99 cent walmart oil is fine  it's only going to be in there for a short time ............. :thumbsup

Fe Man

Ducky149 from AD rider appeared in the driveway this evening with a bore scope and we made headway!

Here is the plug:

Here is what was recovered from the cylinder and intake port:

The verdict is a bent valve and a strip spark plug hole. Compression on 1 and 3 is 130lbs; 2 was zero until I applied Teflon tape to the threads then we got about 30 lbs. With the valves closed we the hit the cylinder with compressed air and hear air rushing out of the #2 intake; obviously a valve issue.

Tomorrow the engine comes out.

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting