News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork oil replacement, alternate method

Started by Rainman9, July 30, 2012, 08:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainman9

I have come across many discussions about changing fork oil. I pulled my forks on my 06 Tiger last night. They were about 8K overdue for an oil refresh. The oil had a bad smell and was black. I realize now the 12K oil refresh is in the service manual for a good reason.

I don't have the Triumph service tool (syringe) to suck out the excess fluid to the predetermined, VIN #, level, measured from the top of the fork tube (vertical tube). I do have two large syringes I bought at a livestock supplier that are graduated in cc's. Is there an obvious reason why I can't exactly measure the fresh fluid I put back into the forks down to the cc (720 cc) in lieu of the service manual procedure. Does the service manual assume there will always be trapped, excess fluid, of an unknown volume, remaining in each fork tube after draining? If this is the case, I can see why sucking the fluid out (with the service tool) to the predetermined level is a more accurate method. If the "trapped fluid" hypothesis is not the case, precise measurement of the replacement fluid should work as long as you don't change the springs. Do you agree?

I hung the forks upside down all night to let them drain. I'm also using the stock fork springs. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for responding.

Wayne

emken67

Hi Wayne,

I did just as you suggest and have not encountered any problem.  I'm no Valentino Rossi, but the bike feels just fine to me.

Bixxer Bob

If you strip them properly you'll be amazed at the crud lurking in the bottom. The valving for the dampers really should be cleaned out properly.   Just sayin'
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NKL

The reason you set the oil level as a gap measurement is to make sure they are the same for both legs, how do you know how much oil is left in each after draining, is it the same? I doubt it. What is you objection to doing it correctly, it takes no more time.
Also when you say 06 model is that with the 1050 cases because I'm not sure 720cc is correct, Walker quoted two amounts dependant on chassis No. some time ago.

Tiger up to VIN 198874 107 mm* 720 cc
Tiger from VIN 198875 146 mm* 655cc

Hope that helps.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

iansoady

It's easy enough to make a level measure with an old spoke and a cable tie or any equivalent that comes to hand. I must say I still miss the old drain screw in the bottom of the fork leg....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

iansoady

Yebbut you're rich......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

delecti

Hi,
I have the 250000 and over vin 06 tiger and I have been leaving an air gap of 165mm they work great at that. im 85kgs.

I have the racetec gold valves and wurth replacement springs the progressive springs help the girl keep the rear wheel on the ground when hard braking, unlike the originals, and seem to be more stable on rough potholed dirt roads.

Mark
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?