News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel consumption

Started by maddog666, August 05, 2012, 01:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog666

Hi all, what does everyones bikes do to the tank?

Ive got a 2000 885i model and have just got back from a bike rally near sheffield.

Hull to Sheffield is 70 miles and I used a full tank to get there and a full tank to get home.

2 up (pillion was fairly light as he only has one arm) and fairly light luggage (tent / sleeping bags).

Admitadly we where tonking on a bit as I didnt go under 90 for most of the way but it still seems an ecessive amount of fuel used for a relativly short trip.

Thoughts appreciated?

Thanks,

M@

metalguru

Sounds like there are problems there as before I launched mine into a horse I did a load of work on it, mainly for performance and the pain was the fuel consumption although did improve it shortly before stuffing it big time!

The best way to diagnose would be to link up with TuneECU and post the sensor info or ALL screen shots as this may give some clues as to the best way forward.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

BigDan

Yeah, sounds like something is definately up there. A full tank from empty to brimming costs me about £30, and gets me 180-200 miles - more if I push through the reserve.

Mine is a 2006 955i, and I'm a pretty heavy guy!
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Trophykev

Mine is standard 2003 955i except for TOR retune. Ridden quite hard on acceleration to about 80 i get about 170 to start of red segment when i fill up.
Average works out about 45mpg.

PeteH

Getting around 60mpg out of my 885i....mixed riding but rarely in 90`s :shock:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

maddog666

Thanks for the info, away with work now for the next week so will take a look next week and see about a TuneECU linkup.

maddog666

Quote from: "PeteH"Getting around 60mpg out of my 885i....mixed riding but rarely in 90`s :shock:

Thats where I think ive used the fuel as to be honest it was more between 110 / 120 for most of the way......but still seems excessive, but on the otherhand it was sat at just under redline most of the way.

mwrmoore

consistently between 185 and 200 miles before reserve light comes on, then can push to 240 before i chicken out. total fill is about £30, so i guess 23 litres ish

Chris Canning

Quote from: "maddog666"
Quote from: "PeteH"Getting around 60mpg out of my 885i....mixed riding but rarely in 90`s :shock:

Thats where I think ive used the fuel as to be honest it was more between 110 / 120 for most of the way......but still seems excessive, but on the otherhand it was sat at just under redline most of the way.

Folk assume there's connection between the 885i and their 955 and I can assure them that isn't the case,my memory fails me but does the 885 redline at 8000 or 8500, which is either a 1000 or 1500 less than a 955,neither of my 885i's even with a 19t sprocket wouldn't run at that speed,and if you were using stock gearing then either the speedo is fast or you were running in the redline,so I'm not suprised you were getting bad fuel consumption,but all the same it still seems pretty bad to me.

amclel

If i ride normally i get around 220 to the tank and thats before the fuel light comes on so yeah i would say you have an issue is you got 70 to the tank!

And my bike is the same yr and make as yours!
2000 Triumph Tiger - Jet Black

maddog666

Oh eck that does sound worrying then, got ym new TOR on though and on the plus side it sounds awsome :-)

Will keep you posted as I fathom out whats wrong with it.

daveb

Quote from: "amclel"If i ride normally i get around 220 to the tank and thats before the fuel light comes on so yeah i would say you have an issue is you got 70 to the tank!

similar here 210-220 then reserve light comes on.
2006 - 955i

Spud

Quote from: "daveb"
Quote from: "amclel"If i ride normally i get around 220 to the tank and thats before the fuel light comes on so yeah i would say you have an issue is you got 70 to the tank!

similar here 210-220 then reserve light comes on.
2006 - 955i

Ditto I get at least that cheers Spud  :wink:

Trophykev

When does the light come on. My needle has dipped into the red once but no light.  Light works when i turn ign on. I normally refual about 175miles just before the red

SilverTiger

My 2006 955i usually does about 210-220 miles before the fuel light comes on.  When it comes on the needle is almost on the bottom of the red section on the dial, like it's completely run out!  The most I've done once the light came on was 36 miles, I was s**tting it but when I filled up it took 23.5 litres so there was still a bit (not much) left in the tank.  On that tank I did 246 miles, worked out around 50mpg iirc.  When I fill her up I always put her on the mainstand - that probably gets a couple more litres in at least.  I fitted a 19 tooth front cog and it hasn't really affected the mpg as far as I can see.  On a fast two-up run back from Torquay to Reading a few months ago (when we had some decent weather) the red light came on at 175 miles, which did surprise me a bit.  We had full panniers and topbox though and were cruising at 90-95 most of the way (motorways.)  That tankful worked out at around 44mpg.  Hope that helps.  Ian.
2006 silver Triumph Tiger 955i
1975 Triumph Bonneville T140
1972 Kawasaki 500 H1B - now restored, very orange
1999 Yamaha R1 - bought new