News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dead Tiger

Started by HockleyBoy, August 15, 2012, 09:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalguru

Nice one mate.
See you on the A12/13 soon.

:thumbsup
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chris Canning

Quote from: HockleyBoy on September 17, 2012, 09:25:33 AM
So it was train down to Somerset on Friday and picked up the new bike, meant I got a nice 200+ mile ride home to try her out (A roads, motorway and some nice B roads around Salisbury plain).

She is the 06 model even though on an 05 plate and first impressions are very good, looks good, rides very nicely and the gearbox feels much more precise than my previous 05 (but that could just be the mileage difference).

Paid 3,250 for it which seems reasonable for the condition and mileage. Farkles on the bike  when purchased, rear hugger, front fender extender, adjustable levers, oild cooler/ radiator guards. Just need to swop over  my LED bulbs (dash and taillight), tall screen, GS handguards and Givi topbox and I am away.

Nice to be back on a Tiger after a few weeks riding a sportsbike. Will post some pics when I get a minute.

Overall very happy so far.

How many miles has it done?

Think the last of the 955's had the same gearbox as the 1050's,funny you should be comparing Tigers,I went to buy another on saturday I'm still getting over the shock of how a bike can be neglected and the owner being completey oblivious,he told me the last person who looked at it just walked off!!!,as luck would have it the sun was shining and he offered me a cuppa.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Chris Canning on September 17, 2012, 05:04:34 PM

How many miles has it done?

Think the last of the 955's had the same gearbox as the 1050's,funny you should be comparing Tigers,I went to buy another on saturday I'm still getting over the shock of how a bike can be neglected and the owner being completey oblivious,he told me the last person who looked at it just walked off!!!,as luck would have it the sun was shining and he offered me a cuppa.

It had just under 14k on the clock and has full matching luggage. Luckily for me this one appears anything but neglected. Full service hsitory including bills all MOTs etc. He was selling as had always wanted a GS and had just bought a nice looking one.

Seller was really helpful and a bike enthusiast, took half day off work so I wasnt sitting around at the station, made cups of tea and even led me out through the town so that I didn't get lost finding the A303.

Not sure what you are looking for but there is a nice 06 on ebay at the moment (they will accept 3,500) with only 9k on it and it looks immaculate. Seller is in Rochdale. I had made an offer but seller did not respond until after I had agreed to buty the one I got..
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Chris Canning

Thanks for that,but if I buy another it'll be wire wheel and I'll build a replica of the one I have,the original plan was to go the Multistrada route,but my supplier(Bixxer will laugh) didn't get the job and paying the real price for one didn't appeal,it's a better bike(than mine),but not 10 grand better!!.

I made the guy an offer and after thought sh%% I hope he doesn't take me up on it,I bought a low mileage R100RS many years ago that had seen winter weather and you can never get e'm back even if they've only seen 20 minutes of salt.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Chris Canning on September 17, 2012, 07:51:51 PM

I made the guy an offer and after thought sh%% I hope he doesn't take me up on it,I bought a low mileage R100RS many years ago that had seen winter weather and you can never get e'm back even if they've only seen 20 minutes of salt.

I know what you mean about the salt but some of us have have to ride all winter, which is why a bought another 955 Tiger. It's a relatively low cost option compared to some of the other bikes out there and it deals with everything pretty well. A bit of ACF 50 seems to keep corrosion at bay for quite a while. Wll hopefully get my original Tiger sorted out at some point and that will become my commute.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Sin_Tiger

Sounds like a really good buy all up, will get a lot of smiles for not a lot of money on that :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on September 18, 2012, 04:00:50 PM
Sounds like a really good buy all up, will get a lot of smiles for not a lot of money on that :thumbsup

Hope so and saves me having to think about my next bike for a few more years!

Chris Canning

Sadly for you poor buggers down south,having to ride a bike 12 months of year because of the traffic is just a way of life,hence when ever I've seen a bike forsale,if it's south of Watford the odds are it's been commuted.

The upside,the standard of riding down south is a league better than anywhere else in the UK.

As for the 955 tiger,the older they get the better value for money they become,I've travelled with allsorts of bikes in the last 12 months both friends and folk we have met along the the way,ranging from the 1050 that doesn't have our range,to GS beemers that have the initial stomp but once you get going more than a match,and if you run a 955 with a pipe/airfilter/19t sprocket mods,your top end(yea yea I know if you need it) will match the 1300 tiger.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Chris Canning on September 19, 2012, 09:31:29 AM
Sadly for you poor buggers down south,having to ride a bike 12 months of year because of the traffic is just a way of life,hence when ever I've seen a bike forsale,if it's south of Watford the odds are it's been commuted.

The upside,the standard of riding down south is a league better than anywhere else in the UK.

As for the 955 tiger,the older they get the better value for money they become,I've travelled with allsorts of bikes in the last 12 months both friends and folk we have met along the the way,ranging from the 1050 that doesn't have our range,to GS beemers that have the initial stomp but once you get going more than a match,and if you run a 955 with a pipe/airfilter/19t sprocket mods,your top end(yea yea I know if you need it) will match the 1300 tiger.

I love riding so don't mind the commute other that the extra wear and tear on my bike and yes it helps with the riding skills when you do 20k miles per year in all sorts of traffic, however I still have lots to learn!

I spent a fair amount of time deciding what to do next when the motor gave up on my Tiger and came to a similar conclusion that on balance I wouldn't get a better bike for my riding (commuting, touring, general riding) than another 955 for my money (Also have loads of spares which will save me cash in the future).

Have the pipe and tune on the new bike so air filter and 95t to do when I get a minute!

Chris Canning

I never learned to drive a car till I was in my mid twenties so I had nine years of all year riding,pushing against the garage door to find a foot of snow and tootling off to work on my brand new Kawasaki H1A still raises an eyebrow when I think about it,and when Le-Mans was in april have arrived at the hotel all but frozen to death,so I take my hat of to you,but I certainley don't miss it,although when there are salt free roads still do a fair bit on the old XT660 during the winter.