News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dead Tiger

Started by HockleyBoy, August 15, 2012, 09:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

Sitting by the side of the A13 waiting for RAC recovery, Tiger died in fast lane with clouds of steam from the exhaust. Managed to coast to the side of the road safely.
Looks like its going to be expensive.  :(
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

oxnsox

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BigDan

:( Best of luck mate!
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Bixxer Bob

Sounds like a head gasket failure :?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Sounds like a head gasket failure :?

That is what I am hoping, expensive enough but not an absolute disaster. It could however be a lot worse, just have to wait and see. Bike is now with Tri Moto who will look at it when they get a chance, probably next week so its back to aching arms commuting on the GSXR!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

HockleyBoy

Not looking good, early signs are cam chain has possibly jumped a tooth and all exhaust valves are knackered looks bad!

Anyone got a spare engine for an 05 kiciking around?

Bixxer Bob

How many miles mate?  Only I'm about to go looking for a cam chain sort of noise from my 05.  She's got about 24k on her I think....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Plenty of engines on ebay with varying prices, could be a chance to make a 1050 fit.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on September 03, 2012, 05:16:35 PM
How many miles mate?  Only I'm about to go looking for a cam chain sort of noise from my 05.  She's got about 24k on her I think....

About 66k, trouble is she has made so many different noises over the years you dont know what to check. Only sign I had of this coming was a couple of minor overheats whilst commuting in the London traffic which I put down to rad cap/airlock and was going to sort out when I next had the tank off. She was running the best shes ever run just before dying!

Have been looking, but there are not many engines around that look good at the moment and I am not sure shes worth spending much money on, may have to bite the bullet and look for another Tiger or even something boring but reliable.

Bixxer Bob

If you want this to be an excuse to move on, fair enough. But otherwise, keep it in perspective.  New exhaust valves  and a gasket kit is the cheap option.  The rest is just time. If you need wheels in the meantime you could pick up an old Sprint off Ebay for less than a grand, use it, sell it on and get your money back when you're finished. Have a think on it before you splash the cash.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on September 04, 2012, 09:25:01 AM
If you want this to be an excuse to move on, fair enough. But otherwise, keep it in perspective.  New exhaust valves  and a gasket kit is the cheap option.  The rest is just time. If you need wheels in the meantime you could pick up an old Sprint off Ebay for less than a grand, use it, sell it on and get your money back when you're finished. Have a think on it before you splash the cash.

I haven't made up my mind about anything yet, guys at Tri Moto are digging a bit deeper into the engine to see if anything else is damaged, not sure whether valves have hit pistons etc.
At this stage I am just looking at my options and if I can get her back up and running for under 1k I will but I don't really want to spend more than that. If it is just valves and gasket I will get her repaired, if a reasonably priced low mileage engine comes up I will also consider it. I love my Tiger but she is fairly high mileage and has been used daily through all seasons so she is not worth a lot for resale and as there are 06's out there with less than 10K on the clock for around 3- 3.5k my money my be better spent there.
I need a bike for my commute and whilst I am not bikeless but I do not want to ride my limited edition GSXR into the winter so I have to decide what to do fairly soon, I may look at sprints as a short term solution.

HockleyBoy

So I weighed up the options and decided I didn't want to move on just yet as I love the Tiger. I am buying a new (to me) one tomorrow, an 05 in Caspian blue with just 14k on the clock.

Bike has been fully serviced and looks immaculate plus has full luggage, decent tyres, TOR pipe and tune, fender extenders etc so should keep me going for a while.

An bringing my dead Tiger home from the mechanics and will attempt to repair it myself in the new year when I have some time.

Looking forward to a 200 mile ride home with the new bike tomorrow

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

oxnsox

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HockleyBoy

So it was train down to Somerset on Friday and picked up the new bike, meant I got a nice 200+ mile ride home to try her out (A roads, motorway and some nice B roads around Salisbury plain).

She is the 06 model even though on an 05 plate and first impressions are very good, looks good, rides very nicely and the gearbox feels much more precise than my previous 05 (but that could just be the mileage difference).

Paid 3,250 for it which seems reasonable for the condition and mileage. Farkles on the bike  when purchased, rear hugger, front fender extender, adjustable levers, oild cooler/ radiator guards. Just need to swop over  my LED bulbs (dash and taillight), tall screen, GS handguards and Givi topbox and I am away.

Nice to be back on a Tiger after a few weeks riding a sportsbike. Will post some pics when I get a minute.

Overall very happy so far.