News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Triumph Speedmaster Questions

Started by Patrick the Scot, January 27, 2005, 05:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick the Scot

I was at the local Triumph dealer here in Lubbock the other day, not doing much - just out enjoying the dry 75 degree weather on the Tiger, and I happened to sit on a Speedmaster.  I was impressed with the ergos and really like the classic styling.  

I am thinking about adding another Triumph to stable, and I have a few questions that maybe some of you have answers for.  I know this is a Tiger forum, but I figured you all might have a few insights.

1) Is the new 865cc engine strong at speed? Or does it top out in the sweet spot to early?  (i.e. a real comfortable speed in top gear, in terms of cruising RPMs, on the Tiger is anything between 70 and 90 mph - what would the Speedmasters be?)  My main concern is this: too low of a sweet spot top gear speed would mean the bike would suck for long distance, highspeed travel.

2) What is the average MPG at cruising speed?

3) Is the carb set-up difficult to deal with? Is rejetting for altitude changes required?

4) Can the new 865cc motor by hot-rodded, hopped-up, or otherwise improved to make more power, for a reasonable price?

5) The wheel base, rake, and trail are all sized as a cruiser, obviously.  Does this mean it will be a dog in the corners?

That is about it.

FYI: the Tiger is going nowhere but under my hind end as I carve up the West, I just thought it might be required to have two, and different, Triumphs at my disposal.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

abell

I rode a Speedmaster with the old engine at a demo day, and found it enjoyable for cruising if a bit sedate. It needed more go, which was my perspective when I rode a Bonneville T100 as well. Now they have the 900 from the Thruxton they might have more welly.

I have always thought it was a smashing looking cruiser.

Getting the exhaust and fuelling right should be entirely feasible territory, there is a pretty strong aftermarket for the classic Triumph range. Good thing because the stock exhaust sounds awfully weak on all of them.

Start at http://www.bonnevilleamerica.com/ and get reading.

In that riding position you are not going to throw it around like a nutter, but if that's the intent then you buy a Thruxton instead. I'd say the Speedmaster is probably great at what it's designed for. Whether or not that's what you want, only you can decide!
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

T_Phil

I have never ridden a bike with the new 865cc engine but I do have a 2003 T100.  

As far as modding is concerned: A free flow exhaust, rejet, removing the snorkel and baffle from the airbox and fitting a better airfilter like a  Unifilter (or better elimitate the airbox alltogether and use K&N's) should give you an extra 10 hp.

Phil

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "T_Phil"I have never ridden a bike with the new 865cc engine but I do have a 2003 T100.  

As far as modding is concerned: A free flow exhaust, rejet, removing the snorkel and baffle from the airbox and fitting a better airfilter like a  Unifilter (or better elimitate the airbox alltogether and use K&N's) should give you an extra 10 hp.

Phil

An extra 10 HP! That would help.

Alrighty then T_phil, riddle me this then:

'04 790cc Speedmaster twin - 61bhp @ 7400rpm and 44.3ftlbf @ 3500rpm

'05 865cc Speedmaster twin - 54bhp @ 6500rpm and 51ftlbf @3500rpm

'04 Bore/stoke - 86 x 68 mm

'05 Bore/stoke - 90 x 68 mm

So the 790cc motor was bored to gain 75cc.  The peak hp went down but the torgue up.  This means it has more usable power? More importantly the the torgue is up at the same rpm.

BTW, if you stoked a motor for more displacemnet, instead of of a bigger bore, wouldn't that give you more torque? I guess I'm not clear on the bore-stoke-horsepower-torque relationship. Tigerjay, any comments?
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

T_Phil

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"An extra 10 HP! That would help.

Alrighty then T_phil, riddle me this then:

'04 790cc Speedmaster twin - 61bhp @ 7400rpm and 44.3ftlbf @ 3500rpm

'05 865cc Speedmaster twin - 54bhp @ 6500rpm and 51ftlbf @3500rpm

'04 Bore/stoke - 86 x 68 mm

'05 Bore/stoke - 90 x 68 mm

So the 790cc motor was bored to gain 75cc.  The peak hp went down but the torgue up.  This means it has more usable power? More importantly the the torgue is up at the same rpm.

BTW, if you stoked a motor for more displacemnet, instead of of a bigger bore, wouldn't that give you more torque? I guess I'm not clear on the bore-stoke-horsepower-torque relationship. Tigerjay, any comments?

Confused? Then look at this:

'05 T100       Capacity 865cc  - Bore/Stroke 90 x 68mm     63 bhp   -   68 Nm

'05 Thruxton Capacity 865cc  - Bore/Stroke 90 x 68mm      69 bhp   -   72 Nm

The only difference I know of is the thruxton has hotter cams and different exhaust than a T100 and different needles then a stock Bonneville, not sure about the T100.

Phil