News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How far will UK dealers negotiate on price

Started by Kai, February 25, 2005, 12:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Hi

I am looking for a giant trailie as my next bike. The Tiger seems like an obvious choice given the fact that I cannot afford or justify the price of the 1200GS or KTM Adventure.

My local dealer is offering the standard deal of £6999 including panniers, centre stand and heated grips.

Whilst I will probably look for a trade in (on my VFR), how much can I expect to knock off that starting price? Anyone bought one recently?

Cheers

Kai

GlenWatt

Hi Kai,

Glad to see you've come to your senses on choice of bike.  :D

In my eperience with the dealers I spoke they may be more likely to offer additional extras as opposed to more price discounts.

However I will admit I didn't get into any serious discussions with these dealers as I got an offer on a year old bike I couldn't refuse and then sold my P/Ex private.

I take it you plan to have the new Tigger in time for the Agro ?

It will be a "Big Trail Bike" Club soon.
Glen

Email - mailto:glen@watt.me.uk\">glen@watt.me.uk  

\"The Aussies call us Boring... we prefer World Champions\"

ChrisN

Without a trade-in you should be able to start at a discount of 10%. Where you go from there is down to varying circumstances and your skill as a negotiator.
Chris

greg

You could start by trying to find a 2004 Tiger, the one with the spoked wheels, there may be a few cluttering a dealers floor, I got one for £6499 with the panniers heated grips and centrestand and the fastest colour just before the new model arrived. Otherwise you are looking at maybe 10%. If you go secondhand I saw a couple last night at good prices at my local dealers (Bridge Exeter) whilst previewing the new Sprint and Speed Triple.The Speed Triple by the way is double sexy.

In any case you won't regret it, fabulous bikes.
2004 Girly.

Badger

Quote from: "Kai"Hi

I am looking for a giant trailie as my next bike. The Tiger seems like an obvious choice given the fact that I cannot afford or justify the price of the 1200GS or KTM Adventure.

My local dealer is offering the standard deal of £6999 including panniers, centre stand and heated grips.

Whilst I will probably look for a trade in (on my VFR), how much can I expect to knock off that starting price? Anyone bought one recently?

Cheers

Kai

Hi Kai

I have just answered you on the VFR forum also. You will find there is a few ex VFR riders here and we all love our Tigers to bits. A bloody good underated bike. As Glen says have a look for an 04 model. It will save a few bob and in my opinion is a nicer looking bike. If you find the front end a bit soft then a decent pair of springs and 15W oil sorts that. Good luck with your decision.
Growing Old Disgracefully

Kai

Quote from: "GlenWatt"Hi Kai,

Glad to see you've come to your senses on choice of bike.  :D

In my eperience with the dealers I spoke they may be more likely to offer additional extras as opposed to more price discounts.

However I will admit I didn't get into any serious discussions with these dealers as I got an offer on a year old bike I couldn't refuse and then sold my P/Ex private.

I take it you plan to have the new Tigger in time for the Agro ?

It will be a "Big Trail Bike" Club soon.

Glen

I am still at the stage of compiling a list of bikes for a test ride. And in any case, funds wont permit any switch until the end of April at the earliest (when I remortgage!  :roll: ).

One of my concerns is that the local Triumph dealer (also does Honda) hasn't got the greatest reputation re service and servicing. And I am a virtual technical incompetent so home servicing isn't really an option (to start with at least).

BTW what are the Triumph bags like? I prefer the more ultilitarian Vegas from Touratech, but ...!

Cheers

Kai

BP_LONDON

I personally don't like any triumph bags, esp hardcases as they are too slick. I have a Givi top-box - it looks perfect on the tiger and is very functional and bombproof.

Kai

Quote from: "BP_LONDON"I personally don't like any triumph bags, esp hardcases as they are too slick. I have a Givi top-box - it looks perfect on the tiger and is very functional and bombproof.

I have a Givi E52 which I could use, but I plan a few big trips on the bike and will want panniers. However, the ones that come with the bike do look a bit too shiny.

Kai

tigerjohn

Kai

Assume about £500 on the non trade-in price - ie £6500

GlenWatt

Quote from: "Kai"One of my concerns is that the local Triumph dealer (also does Honda) hasn't got the greatest reputation re service and servicing. And I am a virtual technical incompetent so home servicing isn't really an option (to start with at least).

BTW what are the Triumph bags like? I prefer the more ultilitarian Vegas from Touratech, but ...!

Cheers

Kai

Kai,

I haven't tested my panniers yet, but yes they are a bit on the plastic side. One good thing is that when removed they hardly leave any visable mounting plates. Givi boxes look fine on the Tiger.

As for servicing the Tiger only needs to visit a dealer every 6K, but does need to have it's valves done every 12K.

The Honda / Triumph dealer should at least be able to give you a worthwhile P/Ex for the old VFR.

Happy Hunting.

PS try looking at local BMW dealers. As they give shit P/Ex's and a lot of people seem to want a new 1200 GS at any cost for some strange reason.  :roll:

You could end up with a bargin, I know I did.
Glen

Email - mailto:glen@watt.me.uk\">glen@watt.me.uk  

\"The Aussies call us Boring... we prefer World Champions\"

lwad

Have a look in the For Sale section on this site.  Sunny is selling a 05 model with 2500 miles for £5500.

That sounds like a good deal to me (I don't know Sunny by the way)

Kai

Quote from: "lwad"Have a look in the For Sale section on this site.  Sunny is selling a 05 model with 2500 miles for £5500.

Unfortunately, I wont have the money for at least another two months. And I'll need a test ride of one first before I decide that it is the way to go for me. I don't want to rush this as I plan to keep the next bike for a while. I have had the VFR for over 4 years and am not the type to change every 5 minutes.

QuoteThat sounds like a good deal to me (I don't know Sunny by the way)

Yup sounds good, but ...!  :(

Kai

robbo

Kai

I am also from Scottish Borders, PM me and we could arrange a meet if you want to see a Tiger up close and personal.

I have a black 04 which I got from the Jedburgh shop for £7000. At the time the guy at Edinburgh ( the Triunph/Honda dealer you mentioned ) said if I offered him £6500 he would probably sell but wasnÌt interested in my one year old Aprilia Futura and offered a pitiful trade in price. I got a fantastic trade in from Jedburgh, over £800 more than Edinburgh offered and I got all the same stuff I would if I had bought it in Edinburgh. I figure I ended up £300 better of on the deal and all my servicing and warranty stuff is at Jedburgh where to date I have had no problems at all with the service.

Allan
best Regards

Robbo

Kai

Robbo

Sounds like a good idea. Give me a few weeks though. Possibly towards the end of the month if that's OK.

Kai

robbo

no problem Kai, just give me a shout.

when the weather clears you can find me and others at the Selkirk square 10am most Sundays.
best Regards

Robbo