News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gas Leaking From Fuel Sender

Started by Putts255, August 12, 2012, 09:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Putts255

So I come home after a week of camping and the garage smells a lot like gas/petrol.  

I take the panels off the left side of the tank thinking my fuel fittings may have a leak.  Nope, newly installed metal fittings are doing great.

Grab the flash light and notice a slight amount of gas on the right hand side.  Pull the panel off and there leaking ever so slowly from the 2 wires of the fuel sending unit is gas.  

So I have found the culprit.  Is there a proper sealant I can use that would seal it up real nice?  Do I need something special?  I would be grateful with any recommendations you might have.  

Also I assume I have to take the tank off to do the seal properly?  Or can I take the easy route?  ;)

Thanks in advance!

Paul
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

grafty99

Unfortunately the tank is going to have to come off because you can't get to the back of the sender properly with it on.  As for the leak, it might be running down the wires but coming from somewhere else. Firstly check how tightly it is bolted on. And if it is tight then it could be the rubber gasket between the tank and sender. Finally if all of that looks ok then remove the sender completely and see if it has cracked or the grommet for the wires are perished.
2000 885i Girly
2004 KTM SX 125
2002 TD5 Landrover Defender

(trying to keep it as British as possible!)

Putts255

Yeah, I finally drained the gas and took the tank off.  Bolts are on real snug.  No leaks visible other than from the wires.

After I figured out that I need to unpressurise the tank by opening the fuel cap I was able to dry it off completely, used some steel wool to roughen up the brass and plastic in the middle of the sender.  Then I applied some "Marine" "Goop" (product for sale in most hardware stores in Canada) then used a heat gun to cure it as fast as possible.  

Let it sit over night then reapplied another thin layer this afternoon.  Just finished testing the tank and leak is cured.  I will keep an eye on it over the next while and make sure it sticks.  I figure the only pressure it may get is when the heat of the sun is on the bike or after a long ride the heat of the engine causing more pressure in the tank...and that will be the true test.  

If it does start to leak again I will try and find another sender on E-bay.
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

_____

grafty99

Obviously we don't get the same heat here in sunny (ehemm) England as I imagine you do over your end but I'm not sure the tank is supposed to pressurise, even when it's a hot day here or when I've been in France, I have never experienced the tank pressurising, maybe your drain/breather hoses are blocked? Possibly forcing the petrol out of the sender?  Only a thought, and I could be wrong.

George
2000 885i Girly
2004 KTM SX 125
2002 TD5 Landrover Defender

(trying to keep it as British as possible!)

iansoady

If there's still a one way valve in the breather this may allow air in (to replace petrol being used) but not out. Mine has never had such a valve but I think some do. It's only really for if you drop the bike.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Putts255

Hmmm, never thought of the breather hose possibly being pinched or blocked, something to look at for sure.  

That's why this forum is a necessity for many of us Tiger owners.  Never even considered that the breather hose my be an issue.  

Thanks!!

_____

JTT

I just got back from a 7 day trip...experienced fuel leak after the first day...and 600 miles.  I too had replaced my fittings with metal units.  After cleaning and drying the whole area with electrical contact cleaner, I discovered the leak was from one of the fittings at the pipe thread.

Off to nearest auto parts place (NAPA) to find some sort of sealant.  Found some Permatex thread sealant that is appropriate for fuel....now to remove the fitting, clean and dry, and reinstall.  Only I'm in a parking lot...so hillbilly repairs 101 kick in.  Flop bike onto its side so the sender is on the high side (about 1/2 tank of fuel).  Remove the fitting, vent the tank, clean, seal and reinstall fitting....then attempt to destroy back lifting the loaded pig (lovely girl she is...abet slightly portly) back onto her wheels.  Perfect.  No leaks.  8 days and holding strong.  :XXsunsmile

Sorry, no pics, I was too focused on repairs and it was very hot and humid.  Check careful its not one of the fitting threads leaking Putts...many failures are a result of the last action (re: changing fittings)...just sayin'  :wink:
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C