News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wheee!

Started by ridin gaijin, January 31, 2005, 10:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridin gaijin

My road is once again a frozen strip more suitable for skating than cycling. Sooooo...we got a WRX wagon. No more taking the kiddies to school in the Civic! Traded it in. This thing is almost as much fun as the Tiger 'cept on awful roads it just shines. The car just clamps down on the road and claws through anything...damn fast too. Now I have one of maybe two or three WRXs in Santa Fe and the only Tiger for miles and miles...Jen says I better be careful of cops. Like the Tiger, this car is a temptation to misbehave. It's good the sti version  is out of range for us. Maybe in a few years, if the shop does better...I have to say, if anyone is thinking about a foul-weather four-door, go drive a WRX. Just as ugly as a Volvo but cheaper and incredibly faster too!
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"My road is once again a frozen strip more suitable for skating than cycling. Sooooo...we got a WRX wagon. No more taking the kiddies to school in the Civic! Traded it in. This thing is almost as much fun as the Tiger 'cept on awful roads it just shines. The car just clamps down on the road and claws through anything...damn fast too. Now I have one of maybe two or three WRXs in Santa Fe and the only Tiger for miles and miles...Jen says I better be careful of cops. Like the Tiger, this car is a temptation to misbehave. It's good the sti version  is out of range for us. Maybe in a few years, if the shop does better...I have to say, if anyone is thinking about a foul-weather four-door, go drive a WRX. Just as ugly as a Volvo but cheaper and incredibly faster too!

But it's still a CAR!!

knarf

Whats a WRX ???

Its got 4 wheels right, round thingie for steering and you have to listen to the kids mmmm... glad we don't get much snow here  :lol:
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

Mudhen

Quote from: "knarf"Whats a WRX ???

Its got 4 wheels right, round thingie for steering and you have to listen to the kids mmmm... glad we don't get much snow here  :lol:

WRX!  Sweet.

I had a 2.5RS a few years back...all the looks, none of the performance of the WRX.  But you gotta love that traction.  I did need a set of snow tires, though...during my first 'ditch hook' I realized even with the AWD I didn't have enough talent to catch her.

My RS was right near the top of the list on expenses, though.  Be warned...just because it feels like a cheap jap car, it can be very unfriendly at the shop.   [-X
\'96 Steamer

Patrick the Scot

I'm going out on a limb here, is the WRX a Suburu?  If so, I saw one of those in full Baja-type race prep out for a shake-out spin down in Austin.  It had open pipes, roll cage, all-terrain race tires, stickered front to back. The thing sounded awesome at full throttle.  Have fun with your new rig RG, and BTW, I'm employed now!.  More on that over a few beers at your place as soon as I can get there.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

abell

The Impreza turbos have always been superb cars, it is good that they finally made it to the US, even if they were a couple of years late to secure my interest. I'd rather have a Legacy turbo now.

If you think the WRX has some welly, drive an STi, which is an almost unbelievably fast car. On the tires is sells with, it would suck in Winter however.

Still as somebody said, it still has four wheels and I'd rather be on me bike.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

ridin gaijin

Yes the WRX is a Subaru. Basically they take the good old butt-ugly all wheel drive Impreza and turbocharge it to about 230 hp. Then they do a lot of messing with stuff underneath...stabilizers, sport suspension--all this is too technical for me really :D --slap on stuff like 4 wheel disc ABS. Tart up the inside some and before you know it you're 0-60 mph in...well, I don't know, probably the 5-5.5 second range? it is FUN. The Sti takes a 2.5 liter engine and turbocharges it to 300 hp--pure insanity, one of the fastest rides you can buy...

...unless you're on a Tiger.

Hey Patrick, good news man! You're going to Sedona, right? I'm in...but only via 2ndary and tertiary roads. Planned my route through the northern NM mountains, across the Continental Divide up there, then cross into AZ near Fort Desperation (or whatever), then through the Navajo Nation till Flagstaff. At Flagstaff onto the secondary road to Sedona...been there once, pretty. Figure it'll take me two days to get there, I hate interstates whilst riding. Wanna hook up?

abell

It started with the old-generation Impreza Turbo, which kicked off an entire market segment in Europe, Japan, and Australia.

5.5 seconds is probably about right. Great car, the best fun that low twenties money can buy, no question about it. Needs a bit more room in the back and a more useful trunk on the wagon.

But then again for that you can always consider the Forester XT, which is even quicker to 60 on paper. I bought a Forester for my wife and it is a very useful car with a proper wagon trunk.

I don't think it's an ugly car however. Unless it's the Saabaru version anyway!
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "abell"I don't think it's an ugly car however. Unless it's the Saabaru version anyway!

:D  :D  :D Right you are boss...why go with a Subaru when you can pay more for the same thing...

...and join the hundreds of proud Saab owners worldwide...!  :D  :D  :D geez, how long is GM gonna hold on to that anchor.

abell I shoulda talked to you before getting this thing; you seem to come out of the box with knowledge I only acquired in the process of id'ing and buying the car. BTW the only Forester XT for a hundred miles came with an automatic transmission. Shortest test drive I ever took. Between the tranny trying to decide what gear it wanted, and the turbo boost, I never knew exactly what was going to happen when I mashed the pedal. Yuck.

abell

I have a long history with Scoobies going back to my dad working with them in the UK. What I would really like, by the way, is a twin-turbo 300hp Legacy like the one he's got!

The one I bought my wife is an XS. I bought it prior to the turbos or I'd have gone for one. Our 2.5 N/A car goes fine and she doesn't care much. Ours is a manual and I'd never buy an auto.

The Forester has a ridiculous amount of cargo room and is tremendously useful. But the same reason my wife likes it (taller car, can see more) also means it will never handle like an Impreza.

The Legacy is a more refined car than both, mainly in terms of ride quality, which is actually fairly harsh on the WRX - but the same rule applies, that's why it corners and grips like a mofo.

FWIW, Subaru also have the B9 Tribeca coming before long - if you haven't seen photos, it's quite controversial.

http://www.subaru.com/sub/b9/init.html

I think it will do well in North America.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

Dalb

I think I can relate.

My F-150 is getting long in the tooth, and feeding its appetite for fossil fuels is kinda draining too.

So an evening about a week ago I took a test drive in a WRX.
I was impressed with the amount of room in such a small car, and I'm a fairly big guy.

I didn't buy it, because my truck is paid off, and not having a car payment is pretty cool.

Drove the Turbo Outback too, since we've got kids, liked it a little more, but its about 8 grand or about 90% of the price of a new Tiger more than the WRX, so time will tell ...

I think you made a wise choice.
Oh you'll probably speed in it, but since the new ones don't look as fast as the old ones, you might get away with it.
I used to ride bicycles, but I\'m tired of peddling.

Patrick the Scot

wow.  nearly a three year old post is drug up from the grave! awesome.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Dalb

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"wow.  nearly a three year old post is drug up from the grave! awesome.

It was still on the first page when I found it.  :oops:

I thought it was new.

Not alot of activity on this site eh ?
I used to ride bicycles, but I\'m tired of peddling.

Stretch

Not a lot of traffic in this section, is all.

Mudhen

Sad to see some of the old threads abell posted on coming back up...or maybe it's nice - still contributing even from beyond...
\'96 Steamer