News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

steamer oil amounts ?

Started by windscreenman1, February 10, 2013, 10:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windscreenman1

Hi all
Been doing a service on the steamer
Put in 4lts oil  and let it stand started the bike and ran it for 10 mins ran ok but gave a lot of white smoke till warmed up , no suprise there as I have just completed head gasket, valve stem oil seals , plugs, crank position sensor, temp sensor, anyway carb decided to piss fuel out all over the side stand so knocked it off and pulled the carbs, I have managed to get one bowl off with the help of my mole grips and killed the screws and found very fine grit in the bowlan around main jet area blocked pilot jet so have ordered a new seal kit for the 3 of them and a new set of screws  anyway getting off point my question is I checked the dipstick and according to that there is nearly double the amount of oil in the bike as needed ? I don't get it as the manual says 4 llts can anyone shed any light on this please as I think by the smoke its burning oil thinking from crankcase passed oil ring s?
I'm guessing HELP !!
cheers
Mark

threepot

Has petrol or water got into sump?? Thats a big variation if you only put 4ltrs in..think correct amount is 3.75ltrs. Had old oil been drained?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

rf9rider

Did you drain all the old oil?

Did you take both the oil filter off and remove the seperate drain plug?

A mistake i once nearly made  :hat10

windscreenman1

She drained fir a full day both filter and sump plug ?
I'm at a loss

windscreenman1

Bikes been stood since b4 christmas for stip down so all oil was in the sump in my heated garage
So getting frustrated
When draind there was only 3ltrs init

Mustang

drain your oil .............
i bet it's full of gasoline
you had a carb pissing gas . it went in crankcase guaranteed ..........
if you have mikunis you need new orings on the float assemblies , if you have keihins you need new needle valves .

threepot

Something else got into sump? Check radiator level,drain off some oil..check if it smells of petrol? Cant think anything else.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

windscreenman1

Thanks mustang was I right with the 4 ltrs
Will drop oil out tommorrow whn I get some fresh stuff
seal kits ordered already

Mustang

Quote from: windscreenman1 on February 11, 2013, 12:09:58 AM
Thanks mustang was I right with the 4 ltrs
Will drop oil out tommorrow whn I get some fresh stuff
seal kits ordered already
yep 4 liters is what it takes

windscreenman1

Mikuni carbs full of grit good clean getting done bits on order all the screws are f*cking up due to last owner being an all weather biker  grrrr
Cheers for the input fellas

Mustang

read the sticky thread............ theres a thread there that addresses your exact problem right down to the stripped screws :XXcomputer