News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Does anyone have experience with Triumph Enduro Handguards?

Started by haroldo_psf, April 30, 2012, 10:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haroldo_psf

I was looking at this handguard from Triumph:

http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/triumph ... 4548-p.asp

The question I have is the fitting. My 2000 885i came with lower handle bars (about 1 or 2 inches lower). I am not sure if this will be a deal killer if I wanted to use these guards?
I was trying to look in the close up picture, if the mounting mechanism offers some adjustment in any way?

If not, which handguards do you suggest? Thje Barkbusters S1 are single side mounted (bar end), and would be my second option., as I am not sure if single side mount would last long in offroad conditions (with crashes here and there  :lol:
These are the barkbusters:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/pr ... /4880/669/

Anything else I should look at? The Acerbis ones have mounting instructions that say you hace to cut your grips and throttle tube, etc, which I cdon't want to have to do as I have heated grips.
2000 Tiger 885i

Mustang

Quote from: "haroldo_psf"http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/triumph ... 4548-p.asp

these are what you want if you are after strength and protection

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "haroldo_psf"http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/triumph ... 4548-p.asp

these are what you want if you are after strength and protection

thanks, I knew that... Question is, how high is the risk of them absolutely not fitting at all because I have slightly shorter bars (non OEM bars)?

I can hack and saw and dremmel and drill if needed...
2000 Tiger 885i

Chris Canning

[quote="Mustang"

[/quote]these are what you want if you are after strength and protection[/quote]

E'r thats not weather protection,I've a similar pair on my XT,but they won't do you one iota of good in the rain,you'll need either BM ones or TouraTech with the extra add on,and then they will,oh and cheap they ain't.

Mustang

Quote from: "haroldo_psf"thanks, I knew that... Question is, how high is the risk of them absolutely not fitting at all because I have slightly shorter bars (non OEM bars)?

they are pretty flexible to the adjustments .

iansoady

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "haroldo_psf"thanks, I knew that... Question is, how high is the risk of them absolutely not fitting at all because I have slightly shorter bars (non OEM bars)?

they are pretty flexible to the adjustments .

They are to some extent but the ones I have on my Tiger only fit nicely in one position. I had to dremel a bit off the LHS one to accommodate the clutch adjuster.

Having said that, they are much more likely to save the levers if the bike is dropped. They do seem to increase vibration through the bars though.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

KiwiTIGERnOZ

hi Haroldo,
I put on bark busters with a pro-taper fat bar. Stronger bar.
Barkbusters are cheap and you can replace the plastics if you scratch them. They are also VERY sturdy, I have had an on road crash and an off road crash and have saved my fingers and the levers!

They're aussie made also. I'm kiwi but they're still pretty good.  :wink:
A Kiwi, lost in a country full of Roos and Wombats, on a Tiger...it\'s jungle out there.

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "KiwiTIGERnOZ"hi Haroldo,
I put on bark busters with a pro-taper fat bar. Stronger bar.
Barkbusters are cheap and you can replace the plastics if you scratch them. They are also VERY sturdy, I have had an on road crash and an off road crash and have saved my fingers and the levers!

They're aussie made also. I'm kiwi but they're still pretty good.  :wink:

Sounds good! Where did you get the stronger bar? Pro-taper? Is it an option from Barkbusters?
2000 Tiger 885i

KiwiTIGERnOZ

Yep protaper mini high and barkbuster. They fit together with a bit of persuasion. Looks awesome, i'll put up a pic of my girly. Total cost ~A$220.
A Kiwi, lost in a country full of Roos and Wombats, on a Tiger...it\'s jungle out there.

haroldo_psf

On the barkbuster site the only models they show their Storm S1 and S7 only as models that fit the Girly. So, not sure which model you have?

I ended up getting the OEM Triumph Enduro ones from the link in above posts. I can fabricate my own expansion spoilers for weather with sheets of ABS plastic (done that before), so that's not an issue. At least this way my levers are protected should I drop the fully loaded bike.

Thanks for the help guys
2000 Tiger 885i

Marc

TouraTech with the extra add on

[/quote]

Would you have a TouraTech part nr. or a link ? There seem to be a lot of different models..

Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

chinchliffe

I put the Triumph Enduro handguards on my 955i  from triumphonline and then added the extra flaps. Went on no problem and are nice quality. They are stamped KTM.

Marc

Nice!
Are these flaps self made? I didn't find any accessorie flaps at Triumphonline.
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

chinchliffe

Yes. Made from HIPs plastic and fitted with M3 stainless allen screws and nylocs.

Chris