News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

brakes and rain

Started by rybes, August 31, 2012, 11:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalguru

Still sounds like master cylinder fault there.

Just saying!
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Sin_Tiger

Hope it doesn't rain again  :XXsunsmile :eusa_clap
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: metalguru on September 04, 2012, 02:18:35 AM
Still sounds like master cylinder fault there.

Just saying!

:iagree

If it was just air surely there'd be some feel?  I would hate for you to find out the hard way Rybes..
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

well it would appear that tmora im gunna take the master cylinder off n have a good look n see whats in there. imguessin the seals are still gunna be good (?) so what am i lookin for inside there or will it stand out when i look inside ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Bixxer Bob

Its a long time since I did one so MG'LL probably have more recent info but, working from memory, take the master cylinder cover off and drain some of the fluid till its just covering the valve.  Now when you pull the lever, if the cylinder is leaking you'll see/hear fluid squirting past the seal.  Hope that helps!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

i can say now that when ya look into the top of the master cylnder you see 2 holes. when i squeeze the lever fluid comes out of the hole on the left. squirts up as if its been in a water pistol. im guessin thats what you mean ?

Bixxer Bob

Yup....  that's supposed to be going down the hose.

I love the way Mustang's standing off watching us pick through this instead of wading in and spoon feeding us the answer  :ImaPoser

That's how ya learn tho   :qgaraduate

rybes

i did think bout that mustangs lack of participation. was thinkin he was on holiday.

well got the cylinder off and took apart n had a look and there seems to be a patch of unshiney black stuff in there. not sure if its corrosion or not. tried cleanin it off with methanol and wire wool but its not shiftin so im guessin its corrosion of some kind.

so now ive gotta find a new  cylinder n hope it was that.

Mustang

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on September 05, 2012, 11:02:36 AM
Yup....  that's supposed to be going down the hose.

I love the way Mustang's standing off watching us pick through this instead of wading in and spoon feeding us the answer  :ImaPoser

That's how ya learn tho   :qgaraduate
:ImaPoser

metalguru

Quote from: rybes on September 05, 2012, 11:34:42 AM
i did think bout that mustangs lack of participation. was thinkin he was on holiday.

well got the cylinder off and took apart n had a look and there seems to be a patch of unshiney black stuff in there. not sure if its corrosion or not. tried cleanin it off with methanol and wire wool but its not shiftin so im guessin its corrosion of some kind.

so now ive gotta find a new  cylinder n hope it was that.

That will be what is left of the seal and it will be sucking air passed it.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it will absorb water and in this case it looks like it has done its job.
The water condenses and makes a puddle, the oxygen content of the water produces oxidisation of the metal in the bore causing corrosion  and a rough area results hence wiping the seal out.

Solution is either a good secondhand/new m/cyl or hone the old one till clean but not too hard as will become oversize.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Mustang

i've lost track if it was an ebay master you are using or not but if it was ............THATS PROBABLY WHY IT WAS ON EBAY . it's a good way to get rid of your stuff that doesn't work any more. thats how a lot of ebay sellers operate

rybes

theres another master cylinder on its way so hopefully itll get it sorted. i jus gotta wait till monday for it  :doubt

not an ebay item origanly mustang. i bought a load of stuff of rob for the conversion and that was in with it all.