News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Throttle - Learn Procedure

Started by JoeDirt, August 19, 2012, 09:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeDirt

I have been reading and searching the forum for a throttle learn/reset proceedure. Is there a such thing and if so, how do I do it?

I will apologize in advance, if this is already posted somewhere.

John Stenhouse

Don't think there is one as such. However there is a part of the ECU that learns how you ride and can be set to do this with the twelve minute tune.

Start the bike form cold with no throttle or any other input, allow it to idle, do NOT touch anything, leave idling until the fan cuts in, after it cuts out leave for twelve minutes again not touching anything. After twelve minutes turn off with the key.

The next time you ride the ecu should be in learn mode and will adapt certain of it's settings to how you ride.

This can be done on Tune ECU too I believe
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

ChazzyB

Quote from: "JoeDirt"I have been reading and searching the forum for a throttle learn/reset proceedure. Is there a such thing and if so, how do I do it?

I will apologize in advance, if this is already posted somewhere.

Sounds like a TPS (throttle position sensor) reset? TuneECU...
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

JoeDirt

Thanks for the response... I am having that surging issue and I think the TPS sensor is worn out/gone bad. I thought that maybe there was a way to set the limits mechanical limits of the throttle. The ECU is capable of more than i realized.

Thanks again,
JoeDirt

ChazzyB

I think people usually point the finger at the lambda sensor and closed loop mode for surging. OTOH, someone here at some time stuck an oscilliscope on the TPS and the signal was very dirty...
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "ChazzyB"I think people usually point the finger at the lambda sensor and closed loop mode for surging. OTOH, someone here at some time stuck an oscilliscope on the TPS and the signal was very dirty...

t'was I.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,7620

However, I also discovered,using the scope, that the crank sensor was also playing up but  I'd advise, before messing with the sensors, do the basics first. They are:

1 Valve clearance check
2 New plugs and air filter
3 IACV functions correctly (use TuneECU for this)
4 ABSOLUTELY NO IACV TO THROTTLE BODY PIPEWORK LEAKS
5 A good seal between the airbox and IACV
6 A good seal at the baro sensor tube elbow where it goes into the airbox on the rear right
7 The baro sensor tube going from the airbox to the ECU isn't blocked or kinked
8 When all of those are right, balance the throttle bodies
9 Then do the 12 minute tune
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JoeDirt

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"However, I also discovered,using the scope, that the crank sensor was also playing up but  I'd advise, before messing with the sensors, do the basics first. They are:

1 Valve clearance check
6 A good seal at the baro sensor tube elbow where it goes into the airbox on the rear right
Thanks for the list Bixxer... I have done everything except for checking the valve clearance. Don't you have to crack the engine open to do that?

Mustang

valve cover is all.............there's a sticky thread

stopwatch1

Where is the crank position sensor on a 955? My service manual only shows a picture of one on a 885.

metalguru

Quote from: JoeDirt on August 21, 2012, 03:28:06 AM
Quote from: Bixxer BobHowever, I also discovered,using the scope, that the crank sensor was also playing up but  I'd advise, before messing with the sensors, do the basics first. They are:

1 Valve clearance check
Thanks for the list Bixxer... I have done everything except for checking the valve clearance. Don't you have to crack the engine open to do that?

When balancing the Throttle Bodies, the balance needs to be EXACT, not even close will do.
Anyone using the guage type needs to sync the guages before balancing.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.