News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

effects of lowering

Started by NZDeano, November 17, 2012, 02:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZDeano

I want to lower my 03 on the back axle and slide the forks up through the clamps by the same amount. I have read on here that this will change the steering / handling geometry and was wondering if anyone can explain exactly how this will effect the actual handling in a 'real world sense'? :doubt
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

Mustang

you won't change much by lowering both ends the same , you might not even notice anything except you can flat foot it when stopped.

If you lower the front end only you will make it steer quicker ....................

if you only lower the rear the front wheel gets awful "loose" feeling .................

iansoady

:thumbsup

And you'll still have more ground clearance than anybody sensible could ever use......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

I'd be very suprised if either stand worked,well the side stand certainley won't maybe the center stand with some muscle.

NZDeano

:thumbsup Thanking you. Excellent answers and very helpful. I was going to chop the side stand accordingly (don't have a centre one YET) Thought I would take the opportunity to weld a larger foot on it too.
I did have a sneaking suspision that by doing both together it might remain the same in handling. The main reason for me to do it is to be able to flat foot it. I am 5'11 but must have short legs or something. She's always seemed like a tall bike to me.
Amen to the ground clearance brother. Went for a spin with the Triumph Club yesterday and kept ending up the arse of the big old thunderbirds and storms etc through the twisties. Hell of a fun. It was amazing how many still admired the tiger as an awesome bike, I know I do!!
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

Bixxer Bob

:doubt Tiger should be more than a match for a Thunderbird, even on lumpy tyres and stock suspension.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...