News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New chain and sprockets

Started by Fross, November 21, 2012, 08:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fross

The other work I've done on Tiger last night was new chain and sprockets. (see other post "Idle Air Control Valve Cleaning Method?") When I bought this bike (end of August) it had 8500 miles on clock and I found the chain had been set like a bow string. After eventually getting the chain tension correct (with the help of this site) :notworthy I have now ridden 3000 miles (Bike rallies the last seven weekends on the trot :occasion14) and the chain is worn out. On removing the rear wheel I discovered the sprocket bearing rough and the bearing seal worn away it has had some serious heat in that bearing obviously from the overtight chain. The two wheel bearing are like new. I've now fitted a new sprocket bearing and oil seal (obtained from local bearing retailer) my friend turned me a new alloy spacer :thumbsup as the original one had a grove in it from the original seal. (I would have simply turned it round and refitted it if he hadn't offered to make me one).
I'm convinced that the old chain and bearing were causing the rough feeling the Tiger has in the transmission. So am looking forward to a test ride to see the improvement :eusa_dance. I will let you know.
BTY. I opted to go for the 19t front sprocket. :wave
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.
British Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

Fross

The Update on this is that the bike is now lovely and smooth to ride and the 19 tooth front sprocket has made a nice improvement.  :qgreenjumpers
It lowers revs just a small amount without a noticeable difference in pulling power when in top gear. A worthwhile modification in my opinion, (thanks for the recommendation Chad  :thumbsup).
Next bike rally I'm going to is 1st weekend of December - The Icy Ale Rally near Grantham in Leicestershire. :new_all_coholic :occasion14 :friday :party :headbang
Anyone out there going?
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.

Chad

its all coming together now mate  :thumbsup the new C+S will make a massive difference as yours was to put it mildly FOOKED !! :hat10

did you get round to fitting the Scott oiler ?
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

Bixxer Bob

When in Dec? might be the push I need to fix my Tiggs....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Fross

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on November 22, 2012, 07:10:48 PM
When in Dec? might be the push I need to fix my Tiggs....

The Rally is 7th - 9th December 2012 here is a link to their web site

http://www.druidsmcc.com/icy.htm

It's a great rally (nice pub too) best to pre-book as there is a limit of 250 people.
Let me know if you (or anyone else) are going and we can arrange to meet up. :occasion14

Fross

Quote from: Chad on November 22, 2012, 05:54:13 PM
did you get round to fitting the Scott oiler ?

Yes Scottoiler all fitted and ready to go but I'll not turn it on for first couple of hundred miles.
New chain is so nicely lubed up it'll be a shame to wash it away with oil.  :hat10

trophydave

Quote from: Fross on November 22, 2012, 02:15:50 PM
Next bike rally I'm going to is 1st weekend of December - The Icy Ale Rally near Grantham in Leicestershire. :new_all_coholic :occasion14 :friday :party :headbang
Anyone out there going?

I live about 20 mins from the Dirty Duck.I dont plan on being at the rally but if anyone wants to drop in for tea or has bike trouble give me a shout.