News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Motor for Tiger

Started by Fe Man, September 24, 2012, 02:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fe Man

Will a '02-ish Daytona 955i engine work in my 2006 Tiger?
What about throttle bodies and ECU from my motor; will they work on the Daytona 955?

JoeDirt

Fe Man,

Just by chance are you looking at a Daytona engine on eBay? I just posted a previous thread on a 2002 Daytona.

Just looks very coincidental.

Fe Man

different motor.

metalguru

Can't see any reason for it not to fit.

BUT

There are other options on the Daytona like the gearchange is by linkage so a GP shift will result 1up and 5down.
Have it on mine after fitting a Sprint gearbox and prefer it as the shift up is positive engagement, especially 3rd to 4th.
Don't ask!!

The throttle bodies will fit from the Tiger engine, haven't had a chance to check the cam duration and lift but with an off road map there shouldn't be too many problems.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Fe Man

I am somewhat reluctant; I'm really not in the appropriate mindset for an adventure in motor fitment.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: metalguru on September 24, 2012, 02:50:04 PM

The throttle bodies will fit from the Tiger engine, haven't had a chance to check the cam duration and lift but with an off road map there shouldn't be too many problems.

The 30-odd BHP difference between the two engines, I believe, is down mainly to the cams.  I had a Daytona map in the spare ECU I bought and fitted to my Tiger.  It ran rough but it ran.  If he was to fit a Daytona engine, why not blow a Daytona map?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Yes quite right the Tiger will run rough.

The only way to blow a Daytona map will be to base the the map on a Tiger off road and change the values in all maps to suit.
The Daytona has several noteable differences to the Tiger ie instruments that would prevent usage of the straight Daytona map. If my misty memory serves right they also have a cam position sensor on some models, I am thinking this may have been the 2000 ECU but without refreshing reserch........

It is a shame that we cannot access the hard codings of the maps that would make this possible.
Ultimately to complete the Daytiger transformation successfully a reliable accurate dyno day is the best way forward.

BTW have you tried the Tiger map yet BB?
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

Not tried the map yet, too busy trying to make the workshop watertight for the winter.

The spare ECU with the Daytona map was a1000, same as the Tiger. Daytona has the same base map as Tiger but different fuel tables so I didn't  THINK they are dissimilar. This era Speed Triple uses the same 1000 ECU but the map has a different base and I think it has different sensors so it does strange things, like the rev counter reading 4000rpm with the engine off.....   DAMHIKIJFK

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Never really got to the end of the differences but sounds like you have it summed up about right. I think the Tiger TBs on the Daytona head should work and of course blanking off the injector ports in the head.

Strange thing about that map is it went into a wire spoke Girly and made a substantial difference for the better?????
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

My guess is that the Daytona map will put in a lot of fuel to go with the higher lift on the Daytona cams.  My early quest for power was a big increase in fuel across the Tiger map midrange where it's weak as standard so perhaps it was a happy accident that it worked for the better.  Of course, yiu'd have to get lucky with the injector flow rates too and I've no idea how Daytona and Tiger injectors compare.

Sorry for the extended  hijack FE Man, but it's only through MG and I  (and others too) bashing ideas around that we gain the knowledge to help everyone else.

Fe Man

No worries!

My schedule is so screwed there is no way I'm going to get the motor fixed anytime soon, certain not before my trip next weekend...

metalguru

Yes sorry Feman for the hi-jack but a simple question can get quite in depth.

Think BB and I need our own discussion page!!!!!!

Did a bit more research and dug up some interesting facts that should answer a few questions.
The 02-06 engines are quite special as some parts designed by Lotus.
They have a 12:1 compression ratio.
They have a forged steel crank and con rods with forged aluminium pistons stuck on the top.
All this plus the cylinder head, cams and fuel map will give 147HP.

99-01
The T595 Daytona uses the same inectors as the Tiger.
The earlier engines used a lower compression ratio of 11.2:1 with the MC1000 ECU giving 130HP.

A hybrid map using the 101 & 100 maps on the Tiger base should give substantial power increase over the Tiger tune but will make it very revvy and probably less low down torque but looking at the maps it should not be noticeable.

Perhaps my next development should be along these lines, time to have a word with mate who has a dyno.

So in conclusion Fe Man yes it will work with some fettling and with fuel map tuning will make for a rapid bike.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Chris Canning

Don't even think 595 they were an absolute bag of spanners,terrible things,yea sure you'll find folks with good one's like 885i Tigers but not many.