News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly held up

Started by Spud, September 24, 2012, 08:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud

Back in the UK after a few problems like ferry strikes etc but yhr Girly held up well after it's little tantrum in Scotland last trip. Electrics all good. Now how do I sue a ferry company? RR to follow cheers Spud

John Stenhouse

Learn to avoid Brittany Ferries, they are consistently more expensive than the competition and now they are losing money so want to restructure. Gosh what a surprise!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Spud

Ah that's what's it all about then as the people who i spoke to did not seem to know.  cheers Spud  :thumbsup

iansoady

Quote from: John Stenhouse on September 25, 2012, 01:43:06 AM
Learn to avoid Brittany Ferries, they are consistently more expensive than the competition and now they are losing money so want to restructure. Gosh what a surprise!

I almost always* use Brittany as (a) they go where I want and (b) are more civilised than the "competition". I accept they are a little more expensive but you pays your money.....

*On the odd occasions I haven't I've invariably been disappointed.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

John Stenhouse

As you say, you pays your money you takes the choice. Whenever I've taken Brittany I've been disappointed, mostly I have to admit with their crazy pricing.

Last time I crossed to go pick up a car they were cheapest for the foot crossing, but not the return with the car, or should that be they were but then the foot crossing went up £60  :5huh

Chris Canning

Same as Ian,love Brittany,when P+0 bailed out of the Portsmouth/Le Havre run,couldn't be done with L+M and went Portsmouth/St Malo,we've done Bilbao/Portsmouth but the P+O boat couldn't hold a candle to the Brittany boat that sails to Santander.

No complaints at all,good boats,tied the bike down well,as for price?? don't know,we go on the route we want,if we wanted to save money we'd stay at home .  :XXsunsmile

Loops

Here's an alternative;
Dover to Dunkirk with DFDS.
2 hour crossing is easiy tolerable.
Cheaper than to Calais (well it was for our VW Camper) - £99 return for a long weekend when best to Calais was £240 for same.
Better bet if you're heading further East into Europe.
No idea what they want for a bike to cross.
Their boats were clean enough and the coffee \ grub fine.

Loops
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)

metalguru

:iagree

Have always had good service from Norfolk line/DFDS Dover-Dunkirke as I seem to go to Belgium frequently.
Period/open return travelling in the week £50 return with a vast choice of times and even if missed the booked ferry, have always been accomodated.
Only bad point is the tie-downs could do with a clean and a lube and generally self tie down but advice/help freely given by friendly dekkies.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Spud

Must admit the breakfasts were shite. But they did tie up all the bikes really well. The service seemed ok and they have refunded my money all ready. So other than an extra 450 miles added to my plans at late notice I can't really complain except for my sore ass.

I like the chunnel

cheers Spud

Bixxer Bob

Always use tunnel when on the bike, but whichever is cheapest when in the motorhome.  Is Dover Dunkirk what used to be the Sally Line?  Used to use Sally a lot when serving in Germany in the 80s....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

You can only talk as you find I guess,we've used the tunnel twice apart from the fact it's a complete no event,both times a train has broken down in one of the tunnels and there's been a 3 hour delay the first time and a 2 hour the second,when confronted by an irrrate midlander!!!,bloke on the check in said 'Happens all the time mate'

John Stenhouse

Yeah I suppose you take as you find. What irks me tho' is why when the day return crossing price is £60 for a car, is it £200 to go for a week.

It's not as if on the day return boat they stop half way is it?

Much prefer the tunnel if going by truck, much more civilised, as Chris says a non event any other way.

I would love to do Dover- Calais etc. and do when I'm going east, but I live in the west of the country and usually want to visit mates in the west of France, so makes no sense when I'm doing that to travel four hours this side and five hours the other.