News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sticky throttle somewhere I can't find

Started by benebob, September 26, 2012, 03:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

My 885i has started sticking a bit when you push the clutch in to shift (i.e. the revs aren't quite done).  I pulled apart the throttle and cable lubed it up good and checked for anything holding it up and everything seems good.  Any ideas out there?  Was hoping to make it to winter before having to tear apart the bike as my 24k service should be right around christmas.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

Are you saying you think the throttle is sticking because the revs don't drop to tickover?  If so you need to find the problem sharpish. A stuck throttle is no fun (believe me' I've had that!)  In my case it was a badly fitted Scottoiler vacuum T getting in the way of the throttle linkage.

Take the tank off  (10mins) and the airbox and have a good furkle around, check the cable seats, cable outer for kinks or tight spots, throttle stop adustment screw, throttle slack adjuster etc etc
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Possibly, although more likely that would cause rough tickover and cutting out.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

benebob

What it's doing is say I release the throttle and push in the clutch to shift.  The rpms are still rising by the time I let the clutch out again.  Just a little run over.  If I granny shift and hold the clutch in for 3 seconds or so then the rpms drop down to idle.  Seems to be doing it in the 2k-4k rev range.  Above that I don't seem to notice.  Also if you blip the gas in neutral you can be completely off the gas and it'll still be rising before dropping down a few seconds later.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

Something is causing the IACV to lag behind the throttle position i.e. the ECU is holding open the IACV momentarily for some reason when the throttle is shut.  I don't THINK it'll be stuck because she wouldn't idle if it it was. Same goes for an air leak, tickover would be lumpy.  I'd be looking for something like blocked air filter and nipped or blocked baro tube. Both could cause the ECU to see a depression in the airbox  which the ECU will respond to by opening the IACV.  If it was a U/S sensor there'd be fault codes and maybe the MIL light on.  Other than that I've not come across this before without lumpiness or cutting out.  Except one time it happened when I'd been messing with the low revs end of the fuel map.  And another when I had a corrupt map.

benebob

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on September 26, 2012, 10:42:38 PM
Something is causing the IACV to lag behind the throttle position i.e. the ECU is holding open the IACV momentarily for some reason when the throttle is shut.  I don't THINK it'll be stuck because she wouldn't idle if it it was. Same goes for an air leak, tickover would be lumpy.  I'd be looking for something like blocked air filter and nipped or blocked baro tube. Both could cause the ECU to see a depression in the airbox  which the ECU will respond to by opening the IACV.  If it was a U/S sensor there'd be fault codes and maybe the MIL light on.  Other than that I've not come across this before without lumpiness or cutting out.  Except one time it happened when I'd been messing with the low revs end of the fuel map.  And another when I had a corrupt map.

Idle and running is just fine, fuel mileage is around 200mpt with nearly all my 2 mile to work commute so I'd not think the air filter is shot though I have 21k or so and no clue if it has ever been replaced.  No light on so no code right?  What is the baro tube?  Also would it do anything to have it relearn by starting and letting it idle?

Also, looking at my service manual jogged my memory on something.  When I was checking everything around the cable last night I noticed that the fuel pressure regulator wasn't attached to anything.  There was a vac or breather line just laying in there not connected to anything on either end so I hooked it up to the FPR.  The other end isn't attached to anything and looking at the book I know that should be a vac line now not just a breather so where does that attach to?  I don't think this is the root of my problem though as I don't see how both ends would just magiclly detatch...  I'd suspect it hasn't been attached for some time.
13 Tiger 800

metalguru

Just a breather pipe on the FPR for the pressure regulating diaphragm and can be linked to the airbox or left off.

With BB on this too only thing different to check would be the throttle body balance, check to see they are clean around the flaps (ooeerr), the choke flap pivot is not stiff and the return springs are clean and lubed and the air filter is clean. Wouldn't hurt to lube the IACV but DON'T use WD40.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.