News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Only runs in idle

Started by Fulingbusen, November 22, 2012, 10:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulingbusen

I'm new to motorcycles and I'm not sure where to start trouble-shooting.  My -95 tiger starts and runs fine when choking but as soon as I touch the throttle it dies until I release the throttle again. 

Revs around 4000rpms on idle with choke

Is there a basic way of tuning the carbs?  Acc to a receipt, they were cleaned and tuned last year and hasn't been running since. When I bought it a coil was broken and is now replaced.

rf9rider

Most common problem is blocked pilot circuit in the carbs.
First place to start is to give them a thorough clean out, then take it out and give it a good thrashing, usually clears it after 30/40 miles.
Can of decent carb cleaner in the tank does no harm.

Fulingbusen

Thank you for the answer!

so a thorough clean out could be just adding carb cleaner in the tank or should I disassemble and clean them by hand?

rybes

if it was mine and i didnt know the history of the carbs, id pull em apart and give em a good cleanin with carb cleaner and a compressor. just make sure you get a new set of float bowl gaskets or youll be takin em off again in a few weeks to stop a petrol leak.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Fulingbusen

Ok, thanks!

I also have a very nasty noise when i'm running the starter and the local shop said I have to rip the engine apart to fasten a shaft inside the engine...

Mustang

Quote from: Fulingbusen on November 23, 2012, 01:01:46 PM
Ok, thanks!

I also have a very nasty noise when i'm running the starter and the local shop said I have to rip the engine apart to fasten a shaft inside the engine...
the carbs are the least of your worrys then .....................
sounds like you need to fix the sprag clutch first , I'm bettin you wasted it tryin to start it with :
a. weak battery
b. dirty carbs
or c. all of the above

Fulingbusen

Prob alt c, but to my defense it was like that when I received it.

Is this starter problem common?

Fulingbusen

Is there a guide available that shows how to fasten this "sprag clutch"? The workshop told me that I should sit the engine on the workbench and separate the engine.  They said that some screw probably is broken that holds a shaft of some sort.

I pulled out the carbs today.  Here's is a pic to enhance the thread:

rybes

if ya do a search on here for sprag you should find plenty on it or DAR. whats that in the background and where in the world are ya ?

Fulingbusen

Great, I will try to search for tips then. 
Its a disassembled Corvette C6 in the background.  I'm located in Sweden, the country with a short summer and a long garage-season.

rybes

nice toy you have there. thought ya might be up that way somewhere. im just down the road, in Denmark  :wave

Fulingbusen

Fulingbusen

After searching around for sprag threads I found many good threads but I'm not sure that the sprag is my problem.  My starter engages and disengages perfectly, it is just the awful banging noise while starter is turning that I need to fix.  The DAR sounds like it could my problem.  Thanks!  I will continue to disassemble = fun times!

Mustang

yep that god awful banging when cranking the starter motor is the sprag clutch going tits up ,usually . not sayin it is but If I were a bettin' man ........

pull the clutch cover off and watch what the clutch does when the banging is going on .

Fulingbusen