News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Idiot guide to Tune ECU

Started by benebob, December 12, 2012, 02:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

Nope.  Not the first liquid cooled.  The first non Japanese though so maybe Brit bikes are like Harleys and run for cover when the weather gets bad.  Again, I'm not asking it to go in sub zero temps and it is heating up to normal operating temps for even the summer time during all of my commutes. 
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

I stand by what I said about the ECU, for some reason, chucking too much fuel into the pots.  If it's definitely not an air leak causing the ECU to richen the mix, then it's something else.  I'm losing track of where we've been withthis so here's starting again with a clean sheet and thinking out loud.

Is the O2 sensor reading around 0.45 volts in TECU?  If not the sensor may be U/S.

Does the IACV cycle smoothly when tested in TECU?  (engine off, start the test in a quiet garage and you'll be able to hear the slight whine it makes as it goes through the test loop).

Are the IACV tubes a TIGHT fit on the throttle body stubs?

Is the air temp sensor giving a sensible reading ie if it's 10deg in the garage, does the sensor read 10 deg too?

Is the Baro sensor hose connected properly? The baro sensor is in the ECU and is connected to the airbox by a hose.  The hose can be crimped by the battery box.  It can also leak around the plastic elbow where it connects to the airbox.

Does the engine temp sensor read correctly in TECU?

Is the TPS (throttle position sensor) reading correctly in TECU?

In the end, the ECU makes fuelling calculations many times a second based on engine temp, air temp, air pressure and throttle position.  It reads throttle position from the TPS, it calculates how much oxygen is available by reading the air pressure and temperature, looks up the value in the fuelling tables and meters fuel accordingly by opening the injectors for the correct number of milliseconds.  It adjusts the fuel ratio to compensate for a cold engine by reading the engine temp sensor.

Just thinking outside the box for a minute, is the value for the injector metering correct?  You'll need Metalguru for the value as I don't have it to hand.  If someone's tampered with it it throws the whole fuel map out. 

It's also worth saving your map to the 'puter then blowing in a clean version and doing the 12 min tune, or even the alternative to the 12 min tune (see stickies) just to be sure the map is ok. 

Have you had the ECU connectors off and checked for corrosion such as what killed Chairhead's?  All long shots, but it seems we're getting no-where with the obvious.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

dozz

I just bought a cable off ebay, but after reading this thread I don't think i'll bother, I can see disaster on the horizon if I try it. Anyone near Dundee know what they are doing with these? I have a Quill can to fit.

Bixxer Bob

If the bike is running ok before you start you'll be fine. Just READ the instructions so you have it clear in your head. And be sure to use the TUNEECU drivers, not the ones with the cable.  If you know how to do that you have enough knowledge to do this.  If you don't you were probably right.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

You won't do any harm unless you try uploading. Once you have a connection you can root around and will feel more confident.

Pity I just got on a plane this afternoon  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint