News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

DAKAR

Started by Bixxer Bob, January 18, 2013, 12:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Anyone following it this year?  American Kurk Casalli (top motocrosser) is filling in for injured Marc Coma and doing well for a first go, only his nav skills letting him down.  With Marc out a win forCyril Despres was pretty much a done deal.  Thought he was out when his gearboxblew, but KTM ordered a lower rider to give up his to Cyril so all he got was a15 min penalty.  Did I mention he's French, and so are the organisers?

I'm a big Robbie Gordon (of Indy car fame) fan. His Hummer (really a big 2 wheel drive buggy dressed to look like a Hummer, drives in the buggy class) is fast and although softly sprung, is well damped. When he launches it, all 4 wheels in the air, it lands with only one bounce then level again.  Impressive!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

akendall1966

A bit on  the net, assume it is on Eurosport but I dont have that. Was good to lynden Posket (probably spelt wrong) have a top10 stage  finish the other day.
----AK-----

blacktiger

Yes it was on Eurosport every day. Was well worth watching.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

coachgeo

For future reference; the best coverage by a forum is at advrider.com  Huge Dakar following. nearly min. by min updates, links to all the online coverage. Often they have a hand on deck AT the dakar (or two) as well doing updates.  Hell even some participants update directly to AdvRider.

PS- Go check out this years (and other years) media thread full of pics and video
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Madruss

Quote from: coachgeo on February 17, 2013, 03:07:23 AMFor future reference; the best coverage by a forum is at advrider.com  Huge Dakar following. nearly min. by min updates, links to all the online coverage. Often they have a hand on deck AT the dakar (or two) as well doing updates.  Hell even some participants update directly to AdvRider
I've followed Dakar in previous years with posts from ADVRider.  :thumbsup
Worth supporting that Forum
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

Madruss

Well it's nearly upon us once more.
Aussies Toby Price & Daniel Sanders are among the top staring numbers again.
Maybe by 2026 we'll see a Triumph on the starting line.  :augie  450cm3 moto X bikes in design stages now at Hinkley
Regards Russ

Madruss

A previous entrant[attach id=19181]
Regards Russ

Madruss

Wow this is an adventure[attach id=19252]
Regards Russ

Madruss

I found the Africa Eco Rally (which actually ends at Dakar) online, starting just before the big dollar event, with the Red Bull sponsorship/media, to have more varied participants & larger capacity bikes, to which have more affinity for.
I'll be searching for it later this year.
Aprillia toureg first & 2 700 Tenere' 2nd & 3rd
Regards Russ

ghulst

I honestly loved the Africa Eco Rally better than the Dakar. I also loved their bivouac series where they talk to people after the stage and find people around their tents. Back in the day GĂ©rard Holz did that for the Dakar on France 1 or 2 TV. I loved it and would stay up to 2am just to watch it.

I am getting ready to watch The Girl on A Bike's two episodes on YouTube. 

And honestly, for me it has changed my view on the Aprilia Touareg a lot. And after I sat on it a week ago, I might need to do a test drive on that. I had set my mind on a T7 or TransAlp, but this feels like a very capable and comfortable bike...
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011