News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

It goes "click" ......

Started by Bixxer Bob, February 21, 2013, 05:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

...when I press the  starter button. 

Just fitted a new battery and though I'll start her up and see how it throws over.  Click,,,,, click,,,,, click.  Bugger!

Last few times she's been out she'd occasionally not throw and a quick wiggle of the clutch would sort it, so clutch switch is the first place to check.  Then the relay, then the sidestand switch.  Better now than when the sun's out I guess....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

And we have a result!  Clutch switch; quick spray with electrical cleaner and a few flexes and away she went.  So strip and clean the switch goes on the list.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

If it plays up again check the push in blades under the plastic shroud, mine had come away from the cable and would make and break at will, the other end of the switch wiring is behind the cockpit so is easy to locate.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Bixxer Bob

Fross

I had the same problem with my Triumph Trident Sprint, I never fixed it, just knew to wriggle the clutch lever to get the starter solenoid to operate.
:violent1
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.
British Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

rf9rider

Thought you`d be up on the electrics as you`ve had a few Italian bikes to play with recently  :hat10

cosmo

Quote from: rf9rider on February 22, 2013, 01:37:58 AM
Thought you`d be up on the electrics as you`ve had a few Italian bikes to play with recently  :hat10

That won't be any use. Italian electrics share only wire with English 'lectrics. Whilst the proper English motorcycle will use one wire to go from component to component, each of which has a proper use and reason for being; the average Italian motorcycle will use two or three wires from each component, all of which will disappear into the loom and may, or may not reappear. Said components, too, may not have a proper use; Uncle Luigi possibly needed to dispose of some spares, or there was a boot sale down on the main road. One constant seems to be the coil wire running through the taillamp circuit.

It has happened, on occasion, that the headlight has been removed for inspection, and t'was found that all the wires from the main harness were disconnected from each other and yet, the motorcycle had worked better than before.

Cosmo

P.S. Not to get yer knickers in a bunch, the above may be sarcasm. Possibly. Or the voice of experience.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Bixxer Bob

metalguru

Took my clutch switch off when it started playing up, perhaps it needs adjusting I thought, positioned it exactly on an anvil and hit it with the appropriate club hammer. Terminated the cables in the handlebar loom. Any problems with clutch switch well and truly sorted.

:thumbsup
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Fross

Quote from: metalguru on February 22, 2013, 11:48:32 AM
Took my clutch switch off when it started playing up, perhaps it needs adjusting I thought, positioned it exactly on an anvil and hit it with the appropriate club hammer. Terminated the cables in the handlebar loom. Any problems with clutch switch well and truly sorted.
:eusa_clap

I presume you need to join the two wires together. What happens if you accidently try and start the engine while in gear?
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.

Timbox2

Quote from: Fross on February 22, 2013, 03:51:54 PM
I presume you need to join the two wires together. What happens if you accidently try and start the engine while in gear?

You have to sit in the corner with a pointy hat on
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

My Blackbird doesn't have the clutch switch.  If you're a big enough muppet to hit the starter with it in gear (and I am, but only once) it kind of tries to leave without you...... :hat10

Fross

Quote from: Timbox2 on February 22, 2013, 08:02:05 PM
You have to sit in the corner with a pointy hat on

:notworthy
Sorry for my silly question, all my bikes apart from my Girly have kickstarters, I know straight away if they're in gear.
:eusa_clap

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Fross on February 22, 2013, 03:51:54 PM
What happens if you accidently try and start the engine while in gear?

You'll only do it once  :hat10
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint