News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1001 Uses for Amalgamating Tape

Started by Bixxer Bob, January 25, 2013, 07:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Electricians use it for waterproof joints, most DIY outlets sell it.  It is a layer of stretchy rubbery tape with a plastic film on one side.  You peel off the plastic and stretch the tape as you wind it on.  The stretching activates a chemical in the tape which causes it to weld itself to itself.  It sticks on contact and after a few minutes forms a bonded layer that you can't separate.  It's really good stuff and has lots of uses :hat10
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rf9rider

Bixxer Bob

I first discovered it years ago when working outdoors with an electrician.  First time I used it myself was to waterproof the F connectors on my satellite dish.  I use it a lot on ancilliary electrics on the bikes, as well as heatshrink tube, although heatshrink doesn't have the same waterproofing qualities unless you get the stuff with a hot glue coating inside.

There are variants on the market now that can even make a temporary repair to rubber cooling hoses!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

akendall1966

the tape works well as rim tape on spoked wheels, you can go round a few times to get a nice thick buffer between tube and spoke ends.
----AK-----

Bixxer Bob

We should start a 1001 uses for amalgamating tape thread in the General Discussion area :hat10

Edit: I just did..... :hat10

Timbox2

I first used this stuff in the mid 70's when I was a Post Office(Before BT) Telephone Engineer, we used it to seal cable joints on the old copper cables in the ground. Good kit :thumbsup
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

I did a joint repair on a submersible many years back that operated to a depth of 80m. Was doing it as a favour to the client as they couldn't get a new cable or a technician with the recommended epoxy potting kit in time for a big job.

Wrapped about four layers then slipped an adhesive lined heatshrink sleeve over it, did the job nicely. I bumped into the ROV pilot a year or so later.He told me when he decommissioned the spread at the end of the 6 month job he was curious as to how well it had worked. He ended up having to use a cutting disc to open it and found it bone dry without any corrosion and the soldered joints were still shiney  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint