News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

800 XC how to's

Started by Mustang, January 29, 2013, 04:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Fork maintenance
this is a link to 675.net but the procedure is similar for the XC............... thanks to BlackTiger

Hemibee

I was doing a little searching on YouTube for some 800XC videos and came across this page with several videos on maintenance for the 800XC.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MuddySump/videos
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2001 Triumph Tiger (Gone)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."  John Wayne

blacktiger

Quote from: Mustang on January 29, 2013, 04:18:33 PM
Fork maintenance
this is a link to 675.net but the procedure is similar for the XC............... thanks to BlackTiger

Well, most of the bits look the same and it comes apart the same but for the XC you don't need the spring compressor. The spring is almost at its full extension when unloaded so it easy to compress slightly by hand to get the top washer out.
I also didn't need the damping cartridge holder to undo the bottom bolt. Mine came out OK. 
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

blacktiger

Quote from: blacktiger on January 28, 2015, 01:23:56 PM
Well, most of the bits look the same and it comes apart the same but for the XC you don't need the spring compressor. The spring is almost at its full extension when unloaded so it easy to compress slightly by hand to get the top washer out.
I also didn't need the damping cartridge holder to undo the bottom bolt. Mine came out OK.

Maybe jinxed myself there..............................
Today I went into the garage to change the fork cartridges in my "newer" 800 to fit the Maxton ones I bought for my original 800 that I took off before I sold her on. I managed to fit them and take them out without issue.
Well, one fork leg was a right bastard on this bike. The Showa cartridges aren't very well put together because what happened was, when I tried to undo the bolt that holds the cartridge in place in the bottom of the fork, it got half a thread out and then things started to spin. BUT, it wasn't the whole cartridge spinning because I was holding that. No, it was an insert in the bottom of the cartridge that is only held in place by two dot punch marks.
In the end I had to take it to my favorite local shop and get them to try using their airgun. Fortunately the bolt came out with some rapid acceleration.
So be warned that the standard forks are really rubbish and cheap in their build.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.