News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help! New Shock Required

Started by Moorso, April 30, 2013, 07:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moorso

Hi All.

Left the bike into the mechanics and a new shock is required.... the bike was noticeably soft on the way down so I feared the worst.

I'm in Belfast.... but can get shipped here. 
I've an 885 Tiger

Basically it's like to know if anyone knows where I could get a good shock for the Tiger... but it isn't going to cost the equivalent of a months mortgage! 

Please help  :notworthy
Author of 'Valhalla and the Fjord'
Currently editing my second book: 'Hibernia - Journals from a Motorcycle'

Columnist for Motorcycle Explorer Magazine and Ulster Grand Prix

Even as a grown man, I still don't know what I want to do - trying to become Ted Simon!!

2013 Triumph Explorer

Bixxer Bob

I'm teetering on the edge of buying a Hagon.  I know there are concerns about the bottom bush seizing, but I think proper routine maintenance shoud prevent that.  Or, once I've got my mits on it and if it looks up to it, I might fit a grease nipple so all it'll need then is a regular squirt until clean grease comes out the sides  :hat10

For what it's worth, Squaredeals do it cheaper than straigth from Hagon.... :5huh
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

You'll need either a Wilbers or Hyperpro,just be sure when comparing prices your also comparing spec,I think the Hyperpro is cheaper,but give some thought to a remote preload because without one the secondhand resale is nil.

A Hagon is better than a stocker,but jeeze thats not saying much.

Dutch

I have a fully adjustable Wilbers on order for my '05 Girly. The Hagon is one size fits all like the oem, but relatively inexpensive and usually delivered from stock. The Wilbers (and Hyperpro, Yacugar and maybe other brands?) is custom made to weight, usage and riding style.

In NL a Hagon goes for € 389 (€ 589 with hydraulic prelaod adjuster), the Wilbers emulsion has a price of € 507 / 725. The 641 with seperate reservoir is € 710 / 928. That's list price off course ;)  All including our 21% vat.

Bixxer Bob

The Hagon can be built to requirements too,  including lowering, see here:

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/tiger-955i-2005-06-hagon-monoshock-cast-wheel-tiger-1600-p.asp

I know it's thought to be way behind the others, but we can't all afford big money.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

topher0268

For what it's worth I replaced the stocker with a "rebuilt" Hagon unit from sasquatch. I then added a grease fitting in the bottom mount and a shallow channel in the center of the bushing so the grease could disperse better. I've only had it on for a year but I've been watching it diligently and to date haven't had any issues with the bottom mount getting "stiff" or seizing.

I paired this with stiffer straight rate springs and cartridge emulators (also from sasquatch) and it's a much better ride than before. I've no doubt the hyperpro is a better quality unit but the Hagon is MUCH better than stock .. not slightly better .... MUCH better.  :thumbsup

As for the concern ... time will tell but as long as you don't neglect the shock I don't think you'll have a problem ....
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

Dutch

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on April 30, 2013, 10:24:17 PM
I know it's thought to be way behind the others, but we can't all afford big money.
To be honest I'm not such a rich dude either (some small advice: don't go in the business of selling bike parts and accessories if you want to make big $). Had the fortune I could buy the bike for less than anticipated so have some budget left to invest in it. One of the reasons is the relative high milage, so oem shock is rather tired anyway. The choice of a high end shock is a bit commercial also (at least, that's what I tell the wife), to promote suspension upgrades in used bikes. 

Moorso

Thank you all for your help and advice.  :notworthy
Author of 'Valhalla and the Fjord'
Currently editing my second book: 'Hibernia - Journals from a Motorcycle'

Columnist for Motorcycle Explorer Magazine and Ulster Grand Prix

Even as a grown man, I still don't know what I want to do - trying to become Ted Simon!!

2013 Triumph Explorer