News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

just bought 06 Girly (18K miles!) and question on wheels...

Started by haroldo_psf, February 05, 2013, 06:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haroldo_psf

hi all,

I'm the proud owner of an 06 955i, in pristine condition, 18K miles on it. My curernt 885i, which has been to the artic ocean twice, and through the continental divide trail, and a few times to desert sand rides in death valley, has just given up (long story).

So, I was in the market for the new 2013 Triumph Explorer XC, when I saw this baby on CL, and just couldn't let it go.

The only flaw of this bike are the aluminum cast wheels.

Questions:

1) The 955i from 2000 to 2003 came with spoke wheels. Were them tube or tubeless?

2) what would it take to put 2000-2003 955i spoke wheels on the 2006 955i? Is it a straight swap?

I'll post pics and what not when I pick it up this weekend. Whoooohoooo!!!!  :hat10
2000 Tiger 885i

blacktiger

1, they have tubes.
2, no it's not a simple swap. Your swing arm is completely different so virtually nothing is the same. Don't know about the front but your forks are also different.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Chris Canning

From time to time this question turns up and it's when I'm cursing not having a camera with me,and the said bike has never shown up on any Tiger forum,I had 3 years driving a bike manafacturers display truck and used to go to all sorts of shows,and remember wandering around the bike park and a guy had turned up on a yellow 885i with mag wheels,he had def changed the rear swing arm for the newer model with the the mag wheel as well,did he use the later shock as ?? I don't know,so almost certainley it can be reversed.

The front wheel is more of a guess,the later bike looks to use the same speedo drive as the earlier version,so at an educated guess it may fit ,as I'm sure they both use the same spindle.

Hardly a conclusive link but mine originated with wire wheels and I now run Dymags so I'd be very suprised if Triumph hadn't just done the same,and if not just stick a pair of late forks in,you see e'm forsale often enough.

blacktiger

I should add that I've been into the Alps on some rough trails with a mate who has the cast wheels and they seem to be pretty strong. So I'd say, as long as you're not going to be leaping off of tall buildings, they'll probably do the job. The limiting part of the bike is the suspension and weight of the bike which doesn't really allow you to go too fast off tarmac.

haroldo_psf

Thanks, guys for the great replies. What is wrong with the suspension? Is it too stiff or too soft? (haven't picked up the bike yet)

Thanks
2000 Tiger 885i

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

blacktiger

Quote from: haroldo_psf on February 07, 2013, 05:17:43 AM
What is wrong with the suspension? Is it too stiff or too soft? (haven't picked up the bike yet)

Thanks

Just not very sophisticated and the travel isn't huge either. Also to add to those problems, the ground clearance is more like a road bike so it's quite easy to wreck the exhaust headers on a rocky lump.

haroldo_psf

Hey Blacktiger, thanks for the info. I know the travel has decreased compared to previous models, but ground clearance should be the same, so? If it's not any shorter than previous models, I'm sure I won't have a problem :)

Bob! Man, I have so much to catch up here. It's been 6 months since I did the 10000 miles trip to the arctic ocean and back (from San Jose, CA), and just came back from a 4 day ride in the desert (death valley). I am overdue for an update. In summary, the 885i is about done :(
I'll post a couple of clips on a thread in the main Girly section. Hold on :)
2000 Tiger 885i

blacktiger

Quote from: haroldo_psf on February 07, 2013, 11:32:20 PM
Hey Blacktiger, thanks for the info. I know the travel has decreased compared to previous models, but ground clearance should be the same, so? If it's not any shorter than previous models, I'm sure I won't have a problem :)

Er, both models have crap ground clearance because the headers run under the engine. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the cast wheel models have slightly less.

haroldo_psf

Quote from: blacktiger on February 08, 2013, 05:48:28 PM
Quote from: haroldo_psf on February 07, 2013, 11:32:20 PM

Er, both models have crap ground clearance because the headers run under the engine. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the cast wheel models have slightly less.

I wouldn't call it "crap ground clearance". This bike has been to the arctic ocean and back (twice!), surviving 800 miles of dirt  Dalton Highway each time (considered one of the most dangerous on the planet...)   :eusa_dance , and all the north Yukon roads (with potholes which may fit half a motorcycle) which have claimed many vehicles (seen on the side of the road...). It also has survived 3000 miles of trails on the Continental Divide Trail, basically a mountain bike single track screwed up dirt road that cuts the US from north to south.
If you want to go rock crawling, you need a dirt bike  :hat10

Trust me. I've tested the clearance of this bike in any orientation you can think of. The picture below is from the continental divide. Imagine 3000 miles of that... (by the way, I learned that water proof boots only work if the water comes in from the outside :)...if you go against the instructions and let water on the inside, you will ride with wet feet for a few days:
2000 Tiger 885i

blacktiger

Quote from: haroldo_psf on February 08, 2013, 06:06:27 PM
I wouldn't call it "crap ground clearance".

It's crap enough that you have to be aware of it when going over undulating rocky stuff.

haroldo_psf

But isn't that the case with any full size dual sport? GS, Tiger Explorer, etc? If you need more than that, I think you may be on the wrong type of bike, no?

Anyway, my point is, in my opinion, it has adequate clearance for the type bike it is.
2000 Tiger 885i

blacktiger

I was just commenting because I've seen photos of mangled headers. If you're happy with it then that's OK then.