News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

'Steaming' Steamer

Started by threepot, March 03, 2013, 11:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

For a while now I've noticed steam from left exhaust when engine is cold or has cooled . This clears when it has warmed. Also, bike seems to run poorly on first start ,as if its only running on 2 cyl,but this clears after a short time.  Could this be water in one cyl/head gskt? Strange thing is,not noticed any water loss or sludge on rad cap.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

threepot

Are those head gskt repair additives you put in the coolant any good?   
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

Try putting it on the centre stand if you have one;  don't forget it leans left on the sidestand so that's where any moisture or condensation will end up and these are prone to being a bit rough when cold, especially if there's water in the fuel.  A compression check will show if you have a leaky gasket.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

threepot

Tempted to try K-Seal. There are some good reviews..fixes coolant to cyl leaks . Not expensive. Even if it offers a temp fix,at least I'll know its the gskt.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

if you are not using coolant you don't have a head gasket problem
what you are more than likely seeing is steam from condensation left in the exhaust after it cools down from previous ride ....they all do it .

the rough running is because you never fully got the pilot circuit in one of the three carbs clean enough , guaranteed

threepot

I had the radiator cap off yesterday to check level and it was ok. A drop in the expansion tank level would be the first indication eh? That was ok too. I've got some Profi left,will put that in to clean carbs? The bike leaning to the left was interesting,the Tiger does lean quite a lot. It is a coincidence that the steam comes out of left side,and it does clear when the engine warms.  :thumbsup Thanks guys.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

97tiger885

Quote from: Mustang on March 03, 2013, 07:40:04 PM
if you are not using coolant you don't have a head gasket problem
what you are more than likely seeing is steam from condensation left in the exhaubleakn by bst after it cools down from previous ride ....they all do it .

the rough running is because you never fully got the pilot circuit in one of the three carbs clean enough , guaranteed

I can attest to the steaming after start up. People are regularly telling me I am burning oil.  Was worried until someone here told me to put my hand in the smoke.  Definitely water vapor from condensation in the mufflers.  For a while I even had puddles  where water was leaking from a muffler-pipe connection.

sweller

Mine steams from time to time as well.

More prevalent when it does short trips/hacking round town regularly.
Simon

Brighton
England

threepot

Noticed a lot of steam..(always left side) yesterday,it was cold tho. Never noticed this on the S3??
95 Super111
96 Tiger