News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shock questions

Started by fattires, March 04, 2013, 02:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fattires

Howdy everyone,
I have a 1996 Steamer that I picked up a few months ago as a project bike for the winter. Right now I am working on the rear shock, as it was it  just springs up and down and felt as though it had no damping so I decided to refresh the shock with new fluid and a fresh charge of nitrogen.
Now that I have it apart I'm thinking about reprinting it and changing the valving, however  having never ridden a steamer I have no idea what the rear suspension is like stock, I would like some input as to what needs improving, I figure that since I have the shock apart i can mess with the valving if needed and change the spring and oil weight.
Also anyone know what the stock spring rate is and where I might find a stiffer replacement if needed?
What weight shock oil should I use?
How much nitrogen do people use? I have used around 150psi for other shocks I have done, is this about right for the steamer?
Thanks

Sin_Tiger

Apart from welcome to the community, Two things:-

Tell us where you are so that you get the appropriate responses (profile update please)

There is plenty on the subject of suspension if you take a bit of time and patience with the search function  :thumbsup

Personal opinion, Winter's almost over mate, Inessa you are in the Southern hemisphere, have you been hibernating  :hat10. I would do everything else before spending a lot of effort and money on suspension. It's such a personal issue and is relatively easy to deal with, without disturbing everything else.
, i.e. sort the bike so it rides well and you have confidence in is reliability, then ride it, see how you feel and revisit the suspension.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Geoff W

Wise words indeed from Sin.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

fattires

I'm located in Kentucky, sorry I thought I had filled out the profile, guess I'll have to get on that.
Winter is indeed almost over but I have another bike to ride on the few nice days here and there.
My thinking was since I have the shock completely apart right now why not make the changes it needs, won't really take much extra time at all.
I have worn out the search function on here since I picked up the tiger in October and have found the answers to most of my questions, guess my search skills for shock info are a little weak at the moment.

Mustang

5 weight for oil
150 psi nitrogen is in the ballpark and will work

this will help http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,7887&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
it's for a showa shock but the kayaba on a 96 is similar

fattires

Thanks guys. I decided to go with just fresh oil and nitrogen for now. I'll ride it for a while and maybe mess with the valving and spring later.
Now to figure out how the hose for the reservoir is routed, I have never seen a steamer assembled before as this one was in a state of dissembly when I got it... Just adds a level of difficulty lol  :5huh