News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

new owner , SOS : Tiger 955i '06 clutch and gear box issues

Started by Isokratis, November 03, 2012, 01:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isokratis

Hi  from Athens , Hellas  (Greece)  to all !

I want first to thank everyone in the forum trying to help all the rest of us !!!
I've been reading 100's of posts for 4 months now ... you have been very helpful !
Then to ask for forgiveness for my English for it's not my language ....

So , I got a black ''Girly'' 2 months ago with 49000 km on , to finally travel a little after 20 years of riding...
So far , I had noticed some vibration between 5-7000 rpm on the highway but didn't pay attention cause it had the panniers on (driving it after buying it ...).
Due to a radiator problem (and a second bike) I hadn't move it for 2 months now - trying to fix a few things - .
Five days ago , on the  way home , I noticed that front was knocking hard. Like bearings need tightening or missing a ball...
I was on to a Triumph dealer (....)  anyway , to give it a close look , and advice me of the condition of the bike (...there's always an option to ''paint it blue and throw it in the Sea '' as we say here in Greece ! ).
They said that  surprisingly (!!!) the motor was very quiet for the mileage and I have to say that I was shocked !
...  ''where was I getting into again ''was my first thought....
(if I had to describe my 20 years 2 wheels experience , I'd have to use the whole server's capacity writing , and many would ''die'' out laughing !!!   ...as a hint , the older bike was 620 '97 and now has 640 '01 motor  with only 41000 km since new .....))
When service guy got back from the test ride , he noticed a clutch problem ''finding neutral as well as bike still pulling when clutch lever pressed '' , something had not have happened to me ( must have heated up problem and showed up) .
His supervisor said ''must be the disks'' .

Story on , (...sorry once again for babbling...) yesterday with a 2nd person up , my ''trip'' for a coffee was ruined up , once again....
Although front was not knocking at all , a frightening hammering noise from gear box was heard after a few km as if chain was string tight ( a problem first noticed in AT i sold when I got the tiger) or a ball from bearing was missing . One could say that teeth in gear box had a mile spacing between them ! (I'll loosened it up more tomorrow and check again ).

When we got back to city traffic , I couldn't find neutral from 1st or 2nd gear , and to shift from 3rd or 4rth  I had to rev up a few times...
...I must have had hit the start button 80 out 100 times I had to stop !!! The fact that I wasn't on the side from drained battery must have been a miracle (to my own history IT IS  ; )
Of course , coolant was over boiling point and I was served almost a glass of it on some traffic light . 90% of the city drive was with fan working -outside temp was no more than 22-24 Celsius !!! - .
Under TuneEcu -just to erase error light- I saw that fan started at 103 C and kept temp at 105 C at idle ! 
How can I lower that point from ECU side sirs ?? or do I have to change the bimetal valve ? (1st question...)

2nd question : Did someone  found a solution for the gear change problem when bike gets hot ? (I must say that i was trying to find a better clutch lever regulator adjustment all the way back , but of no luck...)

and 3rd : You think that it's a ''good'' time to puti it on sale ?!?
I'm too old to go through the same sit I've been through ALL those years fixing or rebuilding bikes , reading posts of traveling only !!!  Lets assume that for 45000 km bike was on tight chain , so is the strong noise - a gear box problem or bearing out - .

B careful whose advice you take ...
----------------------------------------------------------

Tiger 955i 2006 Black
KTM  620 1997 Black (now has 640 '01 motor....)

iansoady

Για σου Isokrates.

The chain on these needs to be MUCH slacker than the handbook says - around 50mm when on the side stand isn't too much. If it's too tight this will contribute to the poor gearchanging and possibly the noise - and even the clutch drag. Is the clutch cable properly adjusted?

These engines do rattle a bit if you're used to something else.....

Overheating - could be a number of things such as radiator cap, broken elbow on overflow tank, swapped over pipes etc. There are many many threads on all of these. Normally the temperature gauge should be just over the line, but the system doesn't hold much coolant so it doesn't take much to get hot. 24 degrees ambient - lucky you!

BTW it's useful to tell us exactly which model and year you have.

And your English is much better than my Greek!

Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Isokratis

Quote from: iansoady on November 03, 2012, 05:42:33 PM
Is the clutch cable properly adjusted?

These engines do rattle a bit if you're used to something else.....

Overheating - could be a number of things such as radiator cap, broken elbow on overflow tank, swapped over pipes etc. There are many many threads on all of these. Normally the temperature gauge should be just over the line, but the system doesn't hold much coolant so it doesn't take much to get hot. 24 degrees ambient - lucky you!

BTW it's useful to tell us exactly which model and year you have.

And your English is much better than my Greek!

Γεια σου  Ian  !     :thumbsup

thanx again for your help !

Well it's a 955i '06 model , 49000 km , a little rusty here and there (was at Korfu island) , had a ''fall'' or accident , but  looking very good in general...(except of a main thing : no stamps on service book..!..  :dash)

Clutch cable was adjusted to about 2-3 mm free play , after changing lever and ''base'' .
(previous owner had change it to a KLE 600 one ... maybe it was the reason I never noticed the problem in the first place !  I believe that the system needs more way to properly disengage disks ... it makes no sense to any Engineer - not necessarily one from Japan - a bike's system not working when hot ...) . I will change the cable today and adjust it again (and ask him what brand and type of oil he used ...)

Although I still suffer from that KTM I have since new ,  I never got used to it's motor's harsh ''knocking '' rotation .
I was used to a soft and even motor feel of the Africa I had the last 7 years (the only problem free riding period ! ) ... I must admit that I'm still stressed of the rattle feel of Tigers motor rolling...I guess because to my history it Always meant some serious problem !
...how one can say for sure that this is not just another case ?!?!! 

Overheating :  the temperature gauge only reaches the temp icon (1/3 of the way) and temp has reached 100 Celsious , the point 
were fan starts working .
''radiator cap'' : seems to be ok , but what really I'm I looking for ?
''broken elbow on overflow tank'' : was cracked at a corner and an angled tube , now clued with some epoxy . Tank is supposed to work pressurized (''air shielded '') ?
''swapped over pipes'' : will have to check that...
Transmission chain will get also very loose - until I find the exact adjustment - BUT it's the damage probably had already done that's troubles me most...

''24 degrees ambient - lucky you'' : ....well , for now it's nice But , there's Summer .... what 45 C you think feels here like my friend ?
...fun ?!!!?  (just trying to be funny , no offense ; )
To me Sun in Greece is getting to something like a curse !!! (not to mention drought almost all year ...)

Anyways , I'm babbling again ! I hope it's not  bad timing , again , for my plans to riding ....( we ''laugh'' on jap bikes but they always take you there...)

will see ,
Thanx again Ian !

Tiger 955i 2006 Black

Chad

there is an option on the tune ECU to ,lower the temperature that the fan cut in at . Metalguru (top chap :notworthy)  of this parish set mine at 94 for me if my memory serves me correct it was in the tests section of Tuneecu.

as others have said loosen that chain up give it a good lube if its still usable and see how it feels then :thumbsup
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

metalguru

Check the front sprocket and see how worn it is, if teeth are hooked, or curved shape instead of the same both sides of the teeth, then it's time to replace the chain and sprockets.

With TuneECU look in Map Edit and in the lower left corner you will see parameters. The second one down says Thermo fan, double click and the adjustment arrows will come up. Set to lowest 94C.

If rad cap seal has gone it will cause over heating and leaks, replace with Triumph type as pattern do not work as well.
If the coolant has been changed recently then it could need burping as there may still be air in the cooling circuit.
Always use anti freeze and fill very slowly. The antifreeze has corrosion stoppers in the mix and fill slowly so the air has a chance to escape.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

jp7rgv

Hi Isokratis,

i am from Greece too.
i have a 05 tiger 955i and i am very happy with it.
where do you do the service of the bike?
an excellent mechanic is Sakis Kontis. you can visit him and see for yourself.
Don't get panic and sell such a nice bike.
every used bike is possible to have some issues.
i wish everything will be ok!

Greetings from Chalkida!!!

Isokratis

Quote from: Chad on November 09, 2012, 09:02:29 PM
there is an option on the tune ECU to ,lower the temperature that the fan cut in at . Metalguru (top chap :notworthy)  of this parish set mine at 94 for me if my memory serves me correct it was in the tests section of Tuneecu.

Thnx for the reply (although too late).
I can't lower Temp point , I cant even store loaded map...I do have some issues with TuneEcu and still haven't looked any further...

Tiger 955i 2006 Black

Isokratis

Quote from: metalguru on November 10, 2012, 11:24:34 PM
Check the front sprocket and see how worn it is, if teeth are hooked, or curved shape instead of the same both sides of the teeth, then it's time to replace the chain and sprockets.

With TuneECU look in Map Edit and in the lower left corner you will see parameters. The second one down says Thermo fan, double click and the adjustment arrows will come up. Set to lowest 94C.

If rad cap seal has gone it will cause over heating and leaks, replace with Triumph type as pattern do not work as well.
If the coolant has been changed recently then it could need burping as there may still be air in the cooling circuit.
Always use anti freeze and fill very slowly. The antifreeze has corrosion stoppers in the mix and fill slowly so the air has a chance to escape.

Thnx for the reply (although too late).
I can't lower Temp point , I cant even store loaded map...I do have some issues with TuneEcu and still haven't looked any further...

Chain and sprocket ok fo far . Chain is so loose now that is about to 'touch' center stand (in close position). Noise is still there with 2 up.

Rad cap is  replaced with genuine Honda , Thermo removed , still overheating , still overflow tank empty in cold weather.....(must be ''the head gasket senario''...)
Anti freeze changed twice so far , about for the 3rd change to remove more  corrosion (actually will use special cleaning fluid).
Last time I took off 400 ml of fluid (and rust)  and put back in 1.5 litre.....

Bearings changed (never seen before such damaged bearings in my life) twice ,- Triumph mechanic didn't know that top had a ring as spacer... - , fork still knocking (...the also well known ''fork knocking senario'').

I changed clutch cable with triumph one but couldn't see any difference so I opened clutch to check disks condition : metal ones -from 3rd to the last - needed a cleaning with 2000 sandpaper as they had slight corrosion . no wraped ones and clutch disks were ok. all cleaned with fuel , left to dry and assembled oiled.  After all that done  drag was gone but still can't find neutral when hot (...means after 3rd traffic light) .

I hope it needs to get balanced (and NOT drinking anti freezer) for not holding steady idling RPM (in motion also does that).

well , I could  try to fix the gasket thing but I can't afford to loose more money if nothing works out well nor afford to pay someone else to do it...
I think that Spring is close and with a little bit of luck some one will get it of my back (sadly I must say cause I really like it !)

So , Thanks again man

Happy New Year riding many km

Tiger 955i 2006 Black

Isokratis

Quote from: jp7rgv on November 11, 2012, 09:06:32 PM
Hi Isokratis,

i am from Greece too.
i have a 05 tiger 955i and i am very happy with it.
where do you do the service of the bike?
an excellent mechanic is Sakis Kontis. you can visit him and see for yourself.
Don't get panic and sell such a nice bike.
every used bike is possible to have some issues.
i wish everything will be ok!

Greetings from Chalkida!!!

Hi man ,

Trust me , it's not a matter of panic , just 20 years of sad history with bikes !

I'm well known of having troubles only and no fun or enjoy with them at all (besides maybe that Africa).
I'm aware of Sakis -had also visited Greek site too- has really good credits but I'm really short of cash.
I thought I was going lucky this time , buying '06 at a ''bargain'' price - although I was told twice 2850 is tooooo many - and maybe have AT LAST some time of trouble free riding BUT I was wrong AGAIN !!!
On the other hand , in the middle of a LOOOONG crisis , no money are left over to spend on weekends , so , tiger will go on spring !!!
I don t  think I'll be lucky with a second European one (though there's really NO equivalent one as an alternative !!! honestly !!! )

Thank you all for spending time reading this and writing back !

My best riding wishes to all  :thumbsup

Tiger 955i 2006 Black

jp7rgv

Hi Isokratis,
my opinion is to ask Sakis the price of fixes and tell him the issues you have.
if you cannot afford i,t ask him if he know anyone that is interested to buy it.
his very helpfull and you may have happy end.
questions doesn't cost.ask what is better to do.
Regards,
John

birddogone

Isokratis,
I'm a new 955 Tiger owner myself here in the states. I had the same problem with the over heating when I first got my machine. Originally the "L" fittings were broken and leaking so I replaced those with brass and at the same time I flushed and refilled the anti freeze and thought while I'm at it, I'll replace the rad. cap with one of the "cross reference caps that fit a Toyota. It kept over flowing at stop lights and just sitting still in the drive way with the temperature gauge on normal. Put the original Triumph cap back in that looked new by the way, and all my problems were solved!
Must use a genuine Triumph radiator cap!  Hope this helps with one of your problems.
Good Luck,
Rod in Va.
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

Isokratis

[/quote]

Hi again ,

Due to winter time bike is still running like that .
(   Clutch drag is gone ! )
I changed coolant 3 times  (too much oxidation in....) and cap with a Honda that ''cried'' a little so I disassembled the old one and moderated rubber ring to fit in. with 2 rings now it is sealed as much as possible.
Paranormal activity of coolant is still there though... (too many different cases there to write).
You r true about asking  but I'm not that ok by asking and then disappearing because I'm lack of cash.
If you like we could talk all over these along with a coffee ( I've never been anywhere riding with it yet , so I could come over to chalkida when weather gets a little better.

But , Thnx again for all the advices

Tiger 955i 2006 Black

Isokratis

Quote from: birddogone on January 11, 2013, 10:55:22 PM
Isokratis,
I'm a new 955 Tiger owner myself here in the states. I had the same problem with the over heating when I first got my machine. Originally the "L" fittings were broken and leaking so I replaced those with brass and at the same time I flushed and refilled the anti freeze and thought while I'm at it, I'll replace the rad. cap with one of the "cross reference caps that fit a Toyota. It kept over flowing at stop lights and just sitting still in the drive way with the temperature gauge on normal. Put the original Triumph cap back in that looked new by the way, and all my problems were solved!
Must use a genuine Triumph radiator cap!  Hope this helps with one of your problems.
Good Luck,
Rod in Va.

Hi Rod ,

Thnx for replying.

L fittings and coolant tank are new . I will replace it with a new Triumph before anything else But I don't think I'm gonna be that lucky to get that easy-cheap away with it   : ))
When warming it up  ''Steamer''  is a very simple nickname ... Steam is all over the place , going up high , for many minutes , which ''means'' that it must be head gasket...

BTW , about that Tuneecu help I need (i just can't lower radiator's  fan point)  you might know of something ??

Thnx again ,

Tiger 955i 2006 Black