News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Checked the valves and got some numbers. Now what?

Started by Me_Rock, March 20, 2013, 09:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Me_Rock

Howdy folks,

I decided to investigate the condition of my valves yesterday, so I opened up the camshaft cover in the parking lot of my apartment complex:

I've never messed with valves before, so I'm a bit clueless as to what I should do next. Here's the drawing I made with clearance numbers (Metric, not standard.):

There is one intake out of the acceptable range, and many other valves on the edge of their comfort zone. What should I do next? I will have access to a garage in a couple of weeks, where I plan on doing some much needed maintenance. It would be nice to be able to show up with all of the necessary parts to do a valve job.

Any wisdom is appreciated.
Thanks!
Me_Rock

threepot

Hi,just checked Haynes.. correct clearance for Exhaust  0.15-0.20
                                                                          Inlet      0.10-0.15

Your gaps seem ok?? one is o.08  Borderline?  Is bike running/starting ok? To make any changes,you will have to measure shims in head,then calculate using table to compensate. Anyone else suggest  alteration?? :doubt  Mustang will sort you out;-)
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

the one valve on #1 at .08 you could actually get away with leaving be for now ..................
you won't know what shim to use until you take that one out and see what it is

personally I'd button it back up and revisit it in the fall after this riding season is over . :thumbsup