News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Parts needed for fork refresh?

Started by Me_Rock, March 25, 2013, 05:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Me_Rock

Howdy all,

If I were to sum up the way my Steamer handles in one word, that single word would be 'hilarious'. I am slowly losing my sense of humor about it.

I will be replacing the seals and oil in the front suspension soon. I've never serviced bike suspension before, so I do not know what parts and tools I'll need. Is it a fairly straightforward job? Is there anything else I should do while I'm fiddling with that region of the bike?

Also, is it possible and/or advisable to attempt to rebuild the rear shock myself?

Any wisdom is appreciated.
Thanks,
Me_Rock

Mustang

do the front forks leak ? if not just change the oil and use some 15 wt . fork oil it will stiffen it up .
take the rear shock to someone like race tech , it will be worth the money . :thumbsup

Me_Rock

Quote from: Mustang on March 25, 2013, 09:08:54 PM
do the front forks leak ? if not just change the oil and use some 15 wt . fork oil it will stiffen it up .
take the rear shock to someone like race tech , it will be worth the money . :thumbsup

I do not know how the bike should feel, I only know that she feels a bit soggy right now. When I rescued the bike from being parted out, the previous owner said that one of the forks was leaking. I haven't noticed any obvious signs of escaping oil, though. Would a leak be subtle and appear damp, or would it be gushing like a worn out clutch pushrod seal?

The bike is supposed to have about 70k miles on it. 12k of them are mine.

Mustang

generally speaking a leaking fork seal will have oil on the fork tube lowers and will mark its spot everywhere you park it .
they are easy to change for an experienced wrench turner , not so much for a novice mechanic.
if in doubt take just the tubes to a shop to get the seals replaced . keep in mind that new seals won't do anything for the handling , they will only keep the oil in , maybe you are out of oil because of bad seals

Sin_Tiger

Maybe there's no oil, or very little left in the tubes  :doubt if it's been lying around about to be parted out it's possible the PO won't have bothered.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint