News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

rear brakesstipped d

Started by nojohn, April 02, 2013, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nojohn

stripped down freed and greased up rear brake on my 05 tiger braking still rubbish, are all Girly rear brakes the same or just mine

daveb

looks like the time of year to be stripping and rebuilding the rear brake calipers at the mo, did you change the brake fluid too?

are you running with sintered brake pads?

Bixxer Bob

A working rear brake is not rubbish. Mine can lock the rear wheel on dry tarmac with little effort.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

aesdj

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on April 03, 2013, 07:19:30 PM
A working rear brake is not rubbish. Mine can lock the rear wheel on dry tarmac with little effort.

Carnt say I've try'd that Bixxer but I agree, if everythings good with it then it should work good. I'd change the fluid as Davidb hinted at and take your time getting the air out.

blacktiger

Quote from: nojohn on April 02, 2013, 11:14:18 PM
stripped down freed and greased up rear brake on my 05 tiger braking still rubbish, are all Girly rear brakes the same or just mine

Perhaps a little too much grease? Actually, I'd leave it as it is as they're usually too fierce.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

nojohn

will take advice and renew brake fluid and maybe some sintered pads  :wave

Bixxer Bob

I had some problems bleeding the rear brake this time, never happened before.  I resorted to Metalguru's trick of pumping the pedal quickly several times then holding the pressure on and opening the nipple so the fluid spurts (oo er missus).  Got several troublesome small bubbles out that way.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Quote from: nojohn on April 04, 2013, 10:46:18 PM
will take advice and renew brake fluid and maybe some sintered pads  :wave

Sintereds up front on mine with just standard in the rear as it dont get used in anger...
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Bixxer Bob

+!

The standard pads are more than enough in the rear caliper.  M style on these rough Norfolk roads is to trail a lot of rear brake into bends to keep the suspension calm.  Standard pads are less grabby so work better.  The rear locks still easily if you're not careful.

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on April 05, 2013, 10:15:25 PM
I had some problems bleeding the rear brake this time, never happened before.  I resorted to Metalguru's trick of pumping the pedal quickly several times then holding the pressure on and opening the nipple so the fluid spurts (oo er missus).  Got several troublesome small bubbles out that way.

The trick to bleeding the rear calliper is to remove it and hold/suspend it above the master cylinder so that the air bubbles get a nice clear run upwards to the bleed nipple.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

Yup, tried that to the point of no further bubbles but still a soft pedal, but MG's method eventually shifted them.  Never had it before but what was different this time was new pistons and seals.