News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Moulded Ear Plugs

Started by aesdj, March 30, 2013, 04:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aesdj

I'm in the market for some moulded ear plugs and don't have a clue who to use. I've found this company who are national but have a shop 3 miles from me but don't know what there like:-

Advance Communication Solutions or ACS

They do one called PRO-20 which are for motorsport/motorbikes and cost £140. If any of you can give me some advice on the above or who you use, price etc that would be great. I remember Blacktiger once saying to take my helmet and wear it as the moulds set as your ears sit different in your helmet which sounds like good advice to me. So anything like this is what I'm after. Thanks.

Dutch

I ride with plugs all the time. Had hard ones like the pro-20 made 20 years ago. They should last for a year or 4, I used them for 17. Then my ear has changed so much the left one didn't sit comfortably anymore. Used soft plugs for 3 years, didn't like it that you have to roll them each time before you can put them in. So ordered a new set of hard ones for 80 euro. Half the price of the pro-20!

John Stenhouse

I have ultimate ear ones and they're super, semi hard and with speakers in so you can listen to your tunes on the go.

from here:
http://www.ultimateear.com/
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

blacktiger

You can buy a kit to make some yourself. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Proguard-Mould-Your-Own-custom-earplugs-ear-plug-hearing-protection-MYO-FREE-P-P-/230853943069?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&var=&hash=item7b6b2a927f

I have bought this but haven't got round to using it yet so can't comment on how it works.

Something else you might want to consider are reusable plugs. Petersplugs do a sample pack of various types for £6.99 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330688641132
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

I have a set of Ultimate Ear monitors for the intercom and aset of semi hard for when I'm not using the intercom.  The monitors are greatbut the semi hards start an ache after about 2 hrs.  My guess is they are just a tad tight.  Black Tiger's right about getting the fit correct.  the chap told me to hold my jaw slightly open as that changes the shape of the ear canal so that it's similar to wearing a helmet.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 30, 2013, 09:56:13 PM
I have a set of Ultimate Ear monitors for the intercom and aset of semi hard for when I'm not using the intercom.  The monitors are greatbut the semi hards start an ache after about 2 hrs.  My guess is they are just a tad tight.  Black Tiger's right about getting the fit correct.  the chap told me to hold my jaw slightly open as that changes the shape of the ear canal so that it's similar to wearing a helmet.

Yes.
Also, if your helmet pushes on your outer ear, that will alter things slightly. So, if you go somewhere to get moulds taken wear your helmet whilst the stuff goes off. You will look like a prick sitting there with a helmet on but at least no-one can see it's you if you do a Stig and keep the visor shut.  :hat10 :wave
Oh and another tip, learned by me the hard way............wait until you're going to do a lot of riding before getting them done. The mistake I made was to get the moulds done at the NEC in November. Got the earplugs through the post in January and didn't ride with them until April. They didn't fit very well and when I phoned to complain they said, basically, "tough". The impressions go off after a couple of months and I'd have to pay again. Ultimate Ear that was. Not impressed.

aesdj

Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming. This is a stupid question (piss take comence now) whats hard/semi-hard and soft? The ones I'm looking at are made of soft medical-grade silicone which to me means:-

1.     Easier to put in.
2.     Comfort

The price is looking good compared to Ultimate Ear if there any good that. Is this 'The audiologist charge is from £25.00 ' extra with the Ultimate Ear?

blacktiger

3, they'll wear out quicker.

The comfort shouldn't be affected by the hardness as they're the exact shape of your ear canal so, if they're made correctly, there are no pressure points. That's the whole point.

I believe you've read it right re the charges. Ultimate just makes the plugs from the mould you send them. You have to pay, on top, for the moulds to be made.

aesdj

Quote from: blacktiger on March 31, 2013, 01:35:24 PM

I believe you've read it right re the charges. Ultimate just makes the plugs from the mould you send them. You have to pay, on top, for the moulds to be made.

Good point 3, so am I best looking for hard/semi hard ones? That extra £25 has pushed the price up to £190 and thats without speakers fitted, which seems steep to me but then as yet I don't know if thats an average for moulded.

Bixxer Bob

I got a semi hard set at Stafford Classic show three years back for £50 delivered.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on April 01, 2013, 06:08:40 PM
I got a semi hard at Stafford Classic show three years back.

That's what you get for looking at the new Triumphs.  :hat10

blacktiger

Quote from: aesdj on April 01, 2013, 10:35:40 AM
Quote from: blacktiger on March 31, 2013, 01:35:24 PM

Good point 3, so am I best looking for hard/semi hard ones? That extra £25 has pushed the price up to £190 and thats without speakers fitted, which seems steep to me but then as yet I don't know if thats an average for moulded.

I'm a bit out of date on prices Jason, as the last set I had made (Headset Services) were about 6 years ago but they cost me £85 for plain ones and £150 with monitors back then. That £190 seems very steep for plain plugs.
Also, I don't know what hardness I got but as I said, hardness shouldn't affect comfort. Mine are now not fitting too well which is probably more to do with my ears altering shape (growing) rather than the plugs wearing out.................or a combination of the two.
When I get rid of this Cold/Flu and get back from doing the SW Peninsula Rally next weekend I'll give the ProGuard kit a try.

amclel

I use several sets that i made myself with the kits from ebay, if you take your time and make sure you do it correctly they are fine, after all you can buy a lot on DIY sets for the price of a custom made set, i have even moulded a pair with Radiopaq microdot earbuds inside and use them to get the sat nav instructions with a bluetooth adaptor rather than using a scala rider
2000 Triumph Tiger - Jet Black

Sin_Tiger

I also had not so good experience with Ultimate. The "Audiologist" they recommended screwed up the moulding, took them two weeks to advise me, by which time I was overseas again. The fact that I had used a days leave, ridden over 100 miles to get it done, the 20 quid +VAT fir the moulding being almost inconsequential. They were singularly unsympathetic, refused to give me any discount or guarantee that the next moulder would do the job properly, so I told them I would not be spending my money with them nor would I recommend their services, response, don't care, that sums them up in my opinion
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

aesdj

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 03, 2013, 02:33:10 AM
I also had not so good experience with Ultimate. The "Audiologist" they recommended screwed up the moulding, took them two weeks to advise me, by which time I was overseas again. The fact that I had used a days leave, ridden over 100 miles to get it done, the 20 quid +VAT fir the moulding being almost inconsequential. They were singularly unsympathetic, refused to give me any discount or guarantee that the next moulder would do the job properly, so I told them I would not be spending my money with them nor would I recommend their services, response, don't care, that sums them up in my opinion

Not sounding good for Ultimate, read alot of bad things about them and when they cost £190/£200 you expect them to be bang on. Having search'd the net over easter there's not many people who make moulded so I've booked in to have mine done at the local one to me that I found and hope everything goes well. The one thing I have seen by loads of posts on other forums is there either brilliant or crap, there seems to be no middle ground but I just don't get on with the foam ones and it helps when your mothers spoilt you for xmas  :thumbsup