News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Looking to get back into riding after 23yrs & have some first bike Girly Q's

Started by Roadinator, April 14, 2013, 05:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

Quote from: John Stenhouse on April 15, 2013, 11:22:42 AM
Maybe I have a good 885i or even a bad 955i but I don't think there's a huge amount between them, pick what can find. There's not a huge difference in specs between early and later bikes.

Up to I think 2004 they're the same apart from the wheels. 2004 to 05 I think they tweaked the front forks for trail angle, then in late 05 to 06 they changed the engine cases for the 1050 type. That's all I can remember, anyone else?

That's funny as I see light years difference between my now dead 885i and the new 06 955i.  I must have had a really bad 885i and now really good 955i.  The fuel mapping and engine just seem so much more modern and perfect.  Although finding neutral sucks on the 955i compared to the 885i but that could just be the low miles (8k).
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Dutch

Quote from: Roadinator on April 18, 2013, 09:13:31 PM
Mostly tarmac.  Is the Heidenau K76 not a good tire?  I know the owner was not real happy with it.  I think the back is a Bridgestone touring tire.  My plan is to ride it for two months and go from there.  I might have a bigger trip at the end of June and will figure out tires by then.  To much money going out for people gear right now.  Need a decent helmet for me and the wife, jacket, top box, boots and intercom system.  Ouch...
K76 is a great tire for a combination of tarmac and dirt. Life is a compromise and nowhere more than in tires. A really good off road tire is sh*t on road and a good road tire will let you down on especially gravel. To have knobs and not to have knobs or something like that.

Keep an eye out, rule of thumb is that with a combination of tires the front should have more grip than the rear.

Communication: I have a Sena SMH5 and am very content with it. Use it to get satnav instructions and listen to MP3 (Zumo 660) and to talk to my brother when we were riding together. Range is about 1/4 mile, sufficient for most situation.

blacktiger

Late to the party here but I'll add my story....
Friend of mine had a 2001 955i, same as my 2002 955i and he then got a good deal on an early delivery (like mid 2004) 2005 cast wheel model. After a while he said to me that he regrets getting rid of the earlier bike because the later one didn't ride or handle as "nicely".
They stiffened and shortened the suspension on the later bikes to make it more of a road only bike and to satisfy all the numpties that complained about the forks diving under braking.
My advice would be to get the earlier 955 model if you want ultimate comfort but be aware that fixing a puncture is going to be a PItA.
I will add that the wheels on the early 955i are not cast Iron, haha! They're actually really good quality with Anodised Behr rims and stainless spokes with chrome plated brass nipples, so they'll never rust or corrode. Mine are still in fantastic nick after 10 years and 67000 miles.
Good luck with your search. Either model will give you great service and be a hoot to ride.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Roadinator

Well I'm in and picking it up tomorrow ('05 model).  Pretty excited to say the least.  Insurance was not bad and I was able to find a riding jacket and pants for cheap on Craigslist.  I'll post pics over the weekend!
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

benebob

Quote from: blacktiger on April 19, 2013, 04:35:34 PMLate to the party here I will add that the wheels on the early 955i are not cast Iron, haha! They're actually really good quality with Anodised Behr rims and stainless spokes with chrome plated brass nipples, so they'll never rust or corrode. Mine are still in fantastic nick after 10 years and 67000 miles.
Good luck with your search. Either model will give you great service and be a hoot to ride.

Just don't have an incident wth a car with 'em.  All my spokes pulled out of the rim. :)
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

iansoady

Quote from: benebob on April 20, 2013, 02:58:50 AM
Quote from: blacktiger on April 19, 2013, 04:35:34 PMLate to the party here I will add that the wheels on the early 955i are not cast Iron, haha! They're actually really good quality with Anodised Behr rims and stainless spokes with chrome plated brass nipples, so they'll never rust or corrode. Mine are still in fantastic nick after 10 years and 67000 miles.

Just don't have an incident wth a car with 'em.  All my spokes pulled out of the rim. :)

That way it reduces damage to the rest of the bike by acting as a sacrificial component......

AKA graceful degradation.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Roadinator

Here she is!!!!

Will have some questions soon.  Enjoyed a weekend of short rides.  Guess who was the first one to lay it down?  My 20 year old!!!  He went six feet and tried to turn around on our gravel road and grabbed a handful of front brake.  Down she went, but the crash bar took the brunt of it.  Since it was used and already has some scratches, I decided not to choke my son (thank you Jesus).

Wife loved our first ride and more planned this weekend.  :thumbsup

mat-tiger1

All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Roadinator

Thanks.  Looking for a top box.  What's that on yours?  Seems like a good size.

Dutch

Glad to see the reflectors near the front fork legs, otherwise I might think you nicked it from our garage  :hat10

Sure you want a big topcase?

blacktiger

blacktiger

Quote from: Roadinator on April 23, 2013, 10:14:27 PM
Here she is!!!!

Nice one Roadinator. New rubber as well. Now you've just got to find the screen that works for you.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Roadinator on April 23, 2013, 10:14:27 PM
Here she is!!!!

......  Guess who was the first one to lay it down?  My 20 year old!!!  He went six feet and tried to turn around on our gravel road and grabbed a handful of front brake.  Down she went......

Here's an exercise for the 20 yr old.  Get him to start engine, pull clutch, engage 1st gear, support the bike with left foot while applying the foot brake with the right.  Now, raise engine revs to 2000-2500 rpm and hold it there.  Ease out the clutch till it begins to bite.  As it bites but is still slipping, hold it there.  Now allow the bike to move forward by releasing some footbrake.  Slow speed progress is now controlled by the footbrake pressure as the clutch and throttle are held steady.  This method has two benefits. First, the footbrake is easier to to control than either the throtgle or clutch at slow speed; and secondly the crank spinning at 2500 rpm creates a lot of gyroscopic force which helps keep the bike balanced and upright, much as the wheels do at higher speed.  This technique is particularly useful for pulling out of sideroads and turning right if in the UK, left for the USA as a lot of inexperienced riders find controlling the mass and turning at slow speed difficult, first reaction is to grab the front brake if launching too fast, and down they go.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...