News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sprag clutch\alternator noises

Started by 97tiger885, April 10, 2013, 12:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I was 3 minutes away from buying a 2000 Trophy 900 with 22,000 miles. Test rode it.  Very good shape with Triumph bags.  It was a premium price.  But some noises made me hesitant.  The motor sounded like my Tiger with one difference.  At start-up, the noises coming from the starter/alternator area were much louder and a different pitch. Pretty much the same noises and the same duration. Knowing about the DAR and the sprag clutch issues, this made me worry.  Was this evidence of sprag clutch damage?...normal for the Trophy?...a symptom of something else such as a dying alternator or starter?  I didnt buy it because I took 15 minutes to consider.  Just when I was ready to go inside and commit, the salesman came out and told me someone on the phone had just bought it sight unseen.  I am sure he used me as leverage telling the guy it was probably about to go.

Not the way I would operate, but I dont make my living selling stuff.  I would have told the guy on the phone to wait, come outside and given me a chance to buy or walk away.  But money talks.

I dont feel too bad.  I got to test ride it and educate myself on the Sprint/Trophy feel.  It wasnt the best color and I really dont want to deal with a full fairing when repairing.  At a lesser price, I would have risked it and turned it into a half-faired or a naked mc.

So, did I choose wisely or did paranoia get the best of me?

What are the symptoms preceding sprag clutch failure?

Sin_Tiger

Look at it this way.

A. It want meant for you.

B. If it craps out on the new owner, it'll soon show up on the bargain lot :hat10

I hear what you're saying about sales people, perhaps he was using the phone call to hold you at the price he was asking, me I'd be tempted to go back to the dealer in a couple of weeks to see if it's really gone or come back but I'm a nosey burger .
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint