News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Not charging....Again

Started by robxxxx, April 21, 2013, 05:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robxxxx

I have started to loose count of how many times I have had to replace the stator and the R/R.  I think its 3 stators and possibly 4 R/R's. But went out today with the aim of scrubbing in a new back tire, 20 miles later and the rev counter dies. another ten miles and the speedo and odo die. Another ten and she dies on the entry to a roundabout.
Nice RAC man manages to get enough charge back into it to get me home.
I'm now starting to think that I am going to have to get rid of this bike, I'm loosing trust in it. What the hell would I have done in Romania last year if it had happened there?
A quick check on getting home shows output from the stator, so it may be just the R/R. Has anyone done the upgrade to the MOSFET alternative. I read that this may be a more reliable way to go. And yes, I have done the Sasquatch mod some time ago.
This could be a way of talking the wife into a KTM 1190!!

metalguru

Sorry to hear the bad news again, MOSFETs are the way to go but with your history I think a loom and main switch examination may be in order. Our Girlies are getting on a bit now and Triumph weren't renowned for thier generosity when they had the looms made. A good place to start is the 30A fuse and holder at the side of the battery tray as they wear out, all to do with the material oxidising and then arcs are caused, albeit very small which then creates more oxides and the circle carries on. There will be an underlying cause for this many failures pointing to cableing or switch gear.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

robxxxx

Quote from: metalguru on April 21, 2013, 06:38:15 PM
MOSFETs are the way to go but with your history I think a loom and main switch examination may be in order.

Do you mean the ignition switch?

HockleyBoy

Had the same problems as you a while back on my previous Girly, replaced RegRec and Stator a couple of time before adding a new Stator and one of these at the same time.

http://roadstercycle.com/index.htm

Immediate results were very good and I didn't have any problems again for about a year or so,  but some time after that I destroyed the rest of the engine (mechanical failure) I cant say how long it would have lasted. Am about to put a new engine in that bike and will use this Regrec and stator again so I guess I will find out.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Chris Canning

This kind of post turns up on a regular basis,a while back I started a thread asking exactly how many folk had a problem with not too many takers,but maybe folks need a list to look for the common denominator,is it winter riding and corrosion,who has heated grips or vests,extra lights or anything else that puts a drain on the system,or for that matter how often do folks change their oil.

brad1098

Stretch did a lot of investigating on this issue.  He came up with several upgrades.

CBR 1000 moffset regulator. A ricks stator out of Alabama.  Eliminated all plugs to reduce heat, corrosion. Loom is one piece. Sasquatch fix must have large capacity Maxi Fuse. The 80a style with a 30a fuse installed.  I personally had a failure here.  The small 30a fuse can not take the amperage going through it and will melt down on a longer ride.

I bought Stretch's backup unit he made to keep on hand.  His original setup as listed above never failed. The setup I bought from him has been flawless for 4ish years.
02 black-Lorna