News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How much discount?

Started by robxxxx, April 28, 2013, 03:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmo

Quote from: robxxxx on May 01, 2013, 02:41:54 AM
And anyway, I'm not a big fat American, and neither is my wife (she told me to say!)

We're not all big fat Americans...

I'm 183cm and just under 14 stone.

No preload when its just me...

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Spud

Quote from: robxxxx on April 30, 2013, 10:56:34 PM
The award for Man who listened to Martin Lewis the most goes to........

Quote from: Spud on April 30, 2013, 07:46:00 PM
With regards to a discount be bloody cheeky and be prepared to walk away if you had to. My kids hate shopping with me because of my bartering I got discounts on Ipods for the kids at HMV.

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

And this year we have a new category, the psychological warfare award.

Quote from: nickcalne on April 30, 2013, 10:04:40 PM
Find the salesman that looks like he's struggling, the loser in the pack... He'll give you the best discount.
How do I know? I had lunch with the chairman of one of the largest vehicle dealership chains a few weeks ago and he explained a lot about how sales works and how they motivate/Discipline sales staff. It is brutal!

who is Martin Lewis ? There would be wriggle room on accessories and don't forget that dealers get kick backs for volume of sales from the makers. The last car I bought the garage made £125 out of the car but made a lot more out of the servicing etc.

DONT ASK DONT GET........

Cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: cosmo on May 01, 2013, 03:43:15 AM
And anyway, I'm not a big fat American, and neither is my wife (she told me to say!)

We're not all big fat Americans...

I'm 183cm and just under 14 stone.

No preload when its just me...

Cosmo

Get you big boy  :hat10

I'm going out on a limb here, I suspect there might well be a glut of Roadies as trade in's now the Sport is out. Opportunity for you perhaps, one possible fly in that ointment is your other half might not be so keen to have her headin the breeze, ask me how I know.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Thanks for the links Chris, but when I looked at the posts, they date back to pre-2013/Skyhook models.
We may be at odds on this, but I'm not seeing big problem type threads we seem to get. I would have thought that if this was a big issue it would have been a "sticky".

I know little about the Skyhook and at the risk of showing my age I'm wary of such things long term mainly because I do keep my bikes a long time,so you will have make your own mind up,certainley for me If I buy a Multi it will be a stocker and I'll have the forks revalved and put an Ohlins on rear and keep life uncomplicated and cheap,because when this stuff is new and under warranty fine,but when that runs out and your on your own it's a different story,and hence why the likes of BMW do an extended warranty and the majority including me have it.

And out of interest why do folk keep relating to cars!!,I've 4 bikes one bought privately,another new from a dealer,another secondhand from a dealer and the last bought on ebay,all totally different experiences,in the last 4 weeks I/we have purchased a 5 month old Golf GTD a completely different synario all together,all they were interested in was sales numbers with multiple salesmen,you just don't get that whith bike dealers,you did with the likes of George White as I said in the other post but thats all long gone,get going into a bike dealer with the same mentality your going to be leaving as one unhappy camper.

Chris Canning

This weeks MCN has a booklet inside with write ups on all the big traillies for this year,quite how you cross reference between what they think,what you think, and what works out financially is the $60,000 dollar question.

Bixxer Bob

Going off subject a bit, I asked the advice of a local KTM rider about a few green lanes for this year's UK meet.  His answer?  "Don't be effing daft.  I took a group of experienced KTM riders out and it was a mud-spattered effing disaster"
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Their idea of disaster might just be our idea of fun  :hat10
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Rob

Did you ever get to ride a Multi,we had 4 days with one and sadly not for us but I'd be happy to share notes.

robxxxx

Yes Chris, I popped over to Coventry Ducati a few weeks ago and me and the wife took a spin.
Bear in mind that my Tiger is still the standard suspension, so not up to the spec of yours. And my second bike is a Pegaso 650 with lots of travel on both ends!
The duke was intimidating for the first few miles, left it in Urban mode to keep the power down round Coventry. At first I thought that there was something wrong going round some roundabouts, but then realised that it was just me being used to slightly saggy suspension. Charged down the M6 in touring mode, plenty of grunt there. Had to give the other half a heads up when I started to overtake, I think I might have lost her off the back if I had'nt. Off the motorway and onto some A-roads. Really felt at home on these, and did handle beautifully.
Wife did have some concerns about the seat height. And once you add the panniers might make it more difficult for her to mount. I did think that the screen could do with being a bit wider and taller. But not useless like the standard Tiger screen, may opt for the touring screen they do. Did e-mail Iain Palmer, but his screen is only good for the pre-2013 models. Shame.
As for the suspension, it was good, but I wasn't blown away by it. Maybe its because it was doing the job so well? It would certainly be good enough for me Chris. I'm getting to the point in life where I can't be arsed to start faffing around with stuff like that. And the idea of just dialing in a setting does appeal.
So how did you get on?

Chris Canning

Well I managed to aquire one for 4 days!!,which gave us heaps of time to ride it one up/two and clamber all over it the Sky Hook model,I rode it on my own in sport mode,suspension was like concrete and that was in comparison with mine!!,the big difference is the speed there's no other way apart from describing it as just very fast.

Tried it two up,in short it just didn't work,we both ignored the suspension,having ridden a BM with ESA and an earlier electric Ohlins and then this Skyhook I didn't like any of e'm,it might be somebodies idle but not mine or my other half,we found we were too close together the screen in the low position all but took my head off and at the high setting I was just looking over the top,not my thing I remember seeing one of those Palmer screen thingies on here,I'm not buying a bike to hide behind a huge piece of plastic.

We had two good runs on it and the bottom line,we use a bike for holidays and the while we could have put up with it at a push,things like a small tank both range wise and getting a decent size tank bag(don't do panniers) it was just going to be a struggle,having had a couple of days riding the Multi went back to the Tiger,we had last Monday off and rode out to the Welsh coast(we do little bike riding in the UK) and while the old 955 felt sluggish by comparison, from A to B over a distance with the mods we have on it a better(much) option,the Multi was just too hyper for a distance bike.

Have been out today on a 1050 Sport,now I didn't hold out much hope of liking it,just as big and bulky as the 955(the Multi is like a bicycle by comparison),what I really liked it steered well,I was expecting a wheel barrow but it steered as quick as my 955,motor was peppy,nowhere near as quick as Multi and not light years quicker than my 955 but was very responsive and I liked it.

Suspension for a stock bike was OK'ish but if we bought one would soon get the rear shock dumped the front foks you can ajust to taste,what I didn't like was the seat,I'm a Rizla paper under 6ft and even after a short time on a warm day my legs felt cramped and at this point in time there's no option for ajustment,and the aerodynamics would need some twiddling,we are two of the lucky one's our 955 with a stock screen we can/have ridden at 3 figures for hours on end with no problem.

But I have to say I view the 1050 as an option,if the old 955 throws a rod I'd buy a Sport and sort the niggles out,getting back on the 955 and riding home it felt way taller,motor revs a lot lower and slower,but if we run into a Sport on the road I don't see one running away from us with any great speed and over a long day we could run an Multi down easypeezy high speed on the Multi over a distance was hard work, but as the guy at the shop said we've been fine tuning the old tank for 10 years!!!.

The down side on the Sport is fuel range,now I/we have ridden with two 1050's at our speed and  both ran short on fuel and had to stop and we didn't even have the fuel light on,but I see little option but to put up with it.

But when the Sport starts coming on the secondhand market,I'd certainly view it as a viable option with some tweeking.

Sin_Tiger

Dare I day it again :icon_wink: you might want to consider a used standard 1050. If you are going to sort the suspension anyway, a few minor engine tweaks and the only things you'd be missing would be the better lights (can be cured), the remote dash push buttons (can be done easily) and the single side swing arm (nice but does it really make that much difference?) Might be worth a black to back comparison.  Yes the pillion seat is a boy of a perch but your missus is more unused to it and there's alternatives, you'd probably prefer lower pegs but our leader can sort that.

Run the numbers and see out it first make sense  :icon_scratch:

Chris Canning

Well the only reason we could even look at the new Sport as opposed to the 1050 is Triumph have flattened the seat out not loads but enough make it practical for my other half to get on.

And while I was waffling completely forgot the major hoo haa with the Multi and that was the instant pickup off the throttle,it had to be sport mode because anything less was no better than what we have,but the slightest whiff of throttle would fire my other half off the back,now there are lots of things she ain't but a great pillion she is,there's non of this hanging on to me or even a grab rail,but in the end as soon as she realised I was going open it up she'd have to make a grab for me to hang on,just what you want on a long day on the road!!!.

Sin_Tiger

That's the reason my other half is not so keen on the 1050. I did look at a Sargent seat but I don't have long legs like you. If you're going to make the meet up you're welcome to try mine.

robxxxx

I have also considered the Tiger Sport, and the Explorer, and the KTM, and the Caponord.........you get the picture. There's possibly a bit too much choice around at the moment. But I still fancy going back to a V-Twin.
I still have an issue with the Multi being too wide at the handlebars for access to the rear of my house, if I cant resolve that I will be testing the KTM and the Tiger Sport.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 09, 2013, 12:38:30 PM
That's the reason my other half is not so keen on the 1050. I did look at a Sargent seat but I don't have long legs like you. If you're going to make the meet up you're welcome to try mine.

Thanks for the offer but if you remember I had a 1050 in my garage from last October till 6 weeks ago that I ended up storing for a friend.