News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

CAM CHAIN TENSIONER CCT

Started by Bixxer Bob, April 11, 2013, 04:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Finally got round to doing my CCT today.  While I had it apart I looked to see if there was an easy way of doing it that didn't involve taking off the cam cover.  There's not.   It's just too big a risk to your valves.

I will compare it with my old Blackbird one though. It's a different design and only takes 5 minutes to swap.  If good, I'll be giving it a try next time.

As for the rattle?  All gone; and some wear on a few of the tensioner ratchet teeth so it was worth doing.  Seems they last about the same as Honda ones! :hat10

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

How many miles have you got on the Tiger now and is there a Triumph recommended interval for this?

Just wondered as I blew up the last Tiger at just under 70K and this preventitive maintainance would have saved me an engine!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Bixxer Bob

I had you in mind when I wrote this!!!

I'm not aware of a service interval, but I'm sensitive to the subject because Blackbirds eat CCTs at a rate of about one every 25k miles.  You get used to listening for the noise.

The Tiger has done 28k and was making similar rattlings - not harsh or loud, you just knew it was there when she was warmed up when it wasn't before.  If you stick a screwdriver to your ear and touch the tip on various places down the right side of the engine you'll not get a specific location that the noise is coming from like you would if a bearing was going for instance.  Instead you'll just hear a general metallic noise and catch the odd snicking noise as it makes and takes up the slack.

If MG reads this and the "HOW TO" I put in the stickys and wants to explain the white plastic spacer a bit better, feel free mate and I'll graft it into the sticky later on.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

Thanks Bob, my new Tiger is on 23k so I may get the tensioner done when I have my next service. Probably over the top but can't afford to wreck another one.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

HockleyBoy

Spotted these on ebay, slightly less than replacing the whole tensioner, quite a lot for a spring and washer though!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290798758594?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Bixxer Bob

That's fine, but it wasn't the spring that was the problem on mine, mine had worn teeth on the plunger.

HockleyBoy

Thanks Bob, that's worth knowing, I will get mine looked at during the 24k and replace the whole thing or spring depending on wear.

blacktiger

I'm not sure this is THAT common a problem as mine has 67000 miles on it and is "sweet as". Also, no-one I know with a Tiger955, apart from you John, has had to replace theirs. And I know quite a few with good mileages on them.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

This started out as preventative maintenance Howard.  I'd developed some noise on that side of the engine.  The only thing that can go CATASTROPHICALLY wrong, as far as I know, is what Hockley had with his first engine ie a sprocket tooth jump.  Ninety quid is small money for peace of mind.  And the noise seems normal now.  Time will tell.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on May 02, 2013, 04:39:09 PM
  Ninety quid is small money for peace of mind.

It is for me, I know the odds are hugely against having the problem again but it cost me a fortune last time as well as the inconvenience (had to put commuting miles on my GSXR, buy a new bike and am now fitting a new engine to the old one).

For the sake of £90 I will have the job done with my 24k service.

Just for info, my previous Tiger was on 70k miles,used daily, fully serviced, running very nicely and making no unusual noises when it went bang!