News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Scotish Ferries

Started by Spud, May 09, 2013, 08:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud

I'm up in Scotland soon and looking at the ferries especially looking to cut the corner off and miss going through Glasgow anyone know where the ferry goes from/to that goes to or near "Rest and be thankful" I've also heard there a ferry that runs from Campbeltown to Ardrossan. Any info gratefully recieved cheers Spud  :thumbsup

XJC

There aren't any ferries that go near the rest and be thankful. The Gourock to Dunoon is the closest and you miss Glasgow if you're coming from the south up the coast road.

The Ardrossan - Arran - Cambelltown is a brand new service due to start on the 23rd May and will only run 3 times a week. You'll need to get this confirmed though. Ardrossan to Arran is multiple times daily.

If you do get the ferry from Ardrossan why not get off at Brodick and ride round Arran and get the ferry from Lochranza to Claonaig. Both the Arran and Campbelltown options still land you on the Mull of Kintyre.

If you are heading to Ardossan you're welcome to pop in at Chez x for a coffee/pee break.

X.
The brain is useless. We must find another brain.

Bixxer Bob

Spud, I've been through the Glasgow bit a couple of times recently - bike and motorhome - and to be honest, it's no big deal.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

steamer 96

One of our yearly "on a shoe string" long weekends away is up on the West coast running from Merseyside to Oban then further North, we go via Glasgow as its not that bad once you are moving,  however last year we missed Glasgow and jumped the ferry to BUTE from Wemyss Bay to Rothesay for late lunch then the 2nd shorter crossing North of the island Colintraive-Rhubodach was a good quick run (if you like that sort of thing) upto Oban passing "Rest and be thankful" for our first nights hostel in Oban backpackers.   The crossing was a choice we made during the ride up and no booking was required just turn up and go...  if the ferry is in  :icon_scratch:

Give me the choice of the two I would stick to Glasgow as its quicker but if you are not in any rush then the crossing to Bute from the mainland is quite nice and you are on the good roads,  Bute looks a little run down but we enjoyed it anyway.

go for it 

Spud

Done Glasgow quite a few times and looking for alternatives. So was thinking coast road nip across on ferry and up and over the rest and be thankful save doing Glasgow and Dumbarton.
I may just try Dunoon on the way up for a change as I'm up near Gairlock for a week

The Campbeltown ferry was a way back over as I will be near there on my last weekend.

Arran been there and did the loop, found a great b and b Goat fell was worth a walk as well.

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

NKL

I always do the one further down the coast from Gourock that goes to Hunters Quay, it's a shorter crossing, then up the A815.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Sin_Tiger

:iagree Hunters Quay is a nice crossing in the right weather and has very nice views on the way. Another crossing alternative might be to use the Erskine Bridge.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Spud

Think I will be trying the Hunters Quay run for a change cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Sin_Tiger

When are you going? I'm going to be back for most of July  :icon_mrgreen:

Suggest:-
Leave M74 at Douglas and follow the A70 to Ayr, some enjoyable sections of road with a couple of hard 90 bends thrown in to catch you out, be warned. Stop at Dobbie'a garden centre for awesome scones!

Get over to the A78 coast road by following the A77, A76. Carry on up to Largs and stop on the sea front at the promenade tea hut, regular bike stop, or if you're feeling posh, have ice cream at the famous art deco Nardini's on the other side of the road.

Carry on up the A78 along the coast, great section of road from Largs to Skelmorlie, just watch out for dozy drivers cutting corners as they look out across the bay.

Carry on up the A78 then take the A770 towards Gourock / Greenock, then you have a choice of two ferries.

Take the one for Hunters Quay / Dunoon or go on a few more kms to take the option to Kilcreggan.

Need a typing break.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Spud

Cheers mate I will give that run a try, I'm going up on the 18th to Gairloch for a week of biking and walking then down towards Cambletown to see a couple of mates cheers Spud  :thumbsup