News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tunes?

Started by Mudhen, February 26, 2005, 01:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Just curious why it is that Triumph's need tunes changed?

Obviously my Steamer doesn't, but I'd never heard of such a thing even with the fuel injected BMWs I've owned...so what gives?
\'96 Steamer

Chris Canning

Because with the Sagem system there are about a billion options!!! and they keep upgradeing them although the latest ain't always the best.

BMW have an old style fuel injection system were as, you change the tune with a chip BM owners run around like headless chickens(I'm one of e'm) trying to buy a better chip,and in the next couple of months i intend to fit a power commander that is just about to be released for BM twins at about £400 plus fitting and set up!!! of course with a Triumph you just fit a new tune far more simple and cheaper!!

Chris

Mudhen

Ahh..thanks.

I guess ignorance is bliss, but I like the fact that after I put my new exhaust on my GS and removed the cat, that I didn't have to run right out to my dealer for a new tune or risk damaging my motor.  Or AM I damaging my motor?
\'96 Steamer

greg

You might be! When you change something like a can, you could be running rich - or weak. Matters less on some bikes than others, I have no idea about BMW,s. Someone is bound to know on this site. Sit back and wait.
2004 Girly.

whoa

Quote from: "greg"You might be! When you change something like a can, you could be running rich - or weak. Matters less on some bikes than others, I have no idea about BMW,s. Someone is bound to know on this site. Sit back and wait.

How would changing exhaust alter mixture?

Dick Boyer

Changing the exhaust, usually to a freer breathing(raspier note) one has a tendency to make the bike run leaner(more air less fuel) and can make your engine run hotter. Adding a K&N or freer breathing air cleaner has the same effect. Put the 2 together and you need to go richer on carburation or new tune on fuel injection for best results. Too lean and you can burn the valves.