News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel Line QD's

Started by Mark, February 22, 2005, 10:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

I've just had to replace both fuel line quick disconnects (QD's) due to the top one shearing off (!) and whilst attempting to replace the QD the bottome one sheared, although I may of be been partly to blame as my Ezi-out contacted the fitting and wham-oh! another trip to the bike shop to pick up a fitting.

This all came about by riding along for a day and I could smell the odd whiff of fuel, finally when I got home I saw drops of fuel on the cement, checking out the fuel lines I traced it to the top fuel QD, which was just split enough to allow small amounts of fuel, when I attempted to disconnect the fuel line it sheard off.

Just a question to all and sundry has this occured to others? I have the Service Bulletin 337 carriad out (replacement of 90 deg. fittings into the QD's). I questioned the Triumph dealer as to why don't they change to metal fittings and not the plastic ones that are currently fitted.

It might pay to inspect the fittings and maybe change the fittings if your planning a trip. Believe me it was an inconvience.

Cheers.
Alcohol & Explosives the key to a happy relationship.

looch

I'm confused. You had the fuel fitting recall performed and now you have plastic fittings? I don't have the bulletin with me here, but I'm pretty sure it says to replace them with aluminum ones (provided). This is not a "check and replace if needed" deal - they are to be replaced regardless.
Looch

davensocal

FWIW - I had the recall performed on my '00 885i.  It was a recall, not a Service Bulletin.  

The QD have two parts, call it the plug and the socket?  The plug was plastic, and it was to be replaced with a metal plug under the recall.  The socket was not changed on mine (even though one of them does not seal properly when the plug is removed).

ArizonaKid

. . . or call them "male" and "female".  When my dealer did mine, they replaced the plastic male piece with a sturdy metal one on both lines.  These connect to the plastic piece in the tank.  The bottom line is, your dealer should have replaced the plastic male fittings with the upgraded metal ones.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Mark

I mighten of explained myself very well or maybe it's just my 'Aussie' accent  :) , anyhoo, I had the 90 degreee elbow (male fittings) replaced (both of them) with aluminium fittings (SB337), however, it's the receptacle(s) (female) that sheared off. And there was much nashing of teeth.

The cost for the receptacles which are of a shut-off design cost AUD $39.00 each, that's about 13 Pounds Stirling. And they are plastic which is definately a weak link in the fuel system, I would of thought Triumph could of got a aluminium design.

Just something to watch out for, or maybe I just had a gremlin.

Cheers

Mark
Alcohol & Explosives the key to a happy relationship.