News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Why a demon possessed fuel gauge & other Q's

Started by Roadinator, May 18, 2013, 02:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadinator

I had my third ever fuel fill up up on my "new" '05 tiger.  This one I stayed on the bike and fueled it all the way up (before I don't get the tank full because of the bike lean from the side stand).  Everything was fine and I pulled away, zeroed the trip meter and my fuel gauge went up to full.  A few moments later I notice the fuel light come on and the gauge is heading to empty, then slowly back up to full and then back to empty and so on.  I ran around town for a quick stop at UPS and then back on the back with the same thing happening.  I hit another store for about thirty minutes and then road for about 45 minutes with no issues with the fuel gauge. Is this common?  Is it a full tank float thing?   

Another question was tire pressure.  I ride two up with the wife and the tires are new Heidenau K76's.  I picked up a good tire gauge and it reads the rear is at 32psi and front at 33psi.  Should I run them at full pressure or a tad below?  I think that is 36psi front and 41psi rear (will check for sure).  Not sure why the the bike shop would mount the rear with such low pressure, but glad I finally have a gauge that holds the pressure to read.  Tires were cold when I took the pressure.

Last question is chain tension.  I've read 45 to 60mm, especially if you are riding two up.  60mm equals 2.3 inches.  Should I measure this in the center of the swing arm lower chain with the bike on the ground or is this with the bike on the center stand with rear wheel off the ground?  I mounted the wheel (after I had the shop mount and balance the new rear) and I am running about 2.5 inches on the center stand.  Looks a little loose, but I'm still a noob and want to make sure I am doing it right.

Thanks for the help!
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

Roadinator

Looked in my new Haynes service manual and see checking chain is center swing arm from the bottom with bike on stand.

Stitch

Fuel gauge behavior is the norm. My 05 experiences this from time to time when the tank is fairly close to full and it is attributed to the tank float. Mine usually sticks on the way home (over a few harsh bumps) and all I do to correct it is a "harsh" stop at the next light to dislodge it. Since this is a normal trait of the Tigers, I followed the TT member's recommendation of using the trip meter as a more accurate gauge of fuel usage. Around 200 miles between fills is my norm and I fill about 4 to 4.5 gal when I do.

Air psi should be 36psi front/ 41 psi rear per specs. Regular checks of air are important since a few pounds difference is noticeable in handling.

Chain adjustment has been covered in great length upon the site. After reading all the input from others; accepting the fact the chain should be on the loose side, and the service manual will leave the chain tight.....this is how I perform my chain adjustment: Since I ride 2 up occasionally, I have both the wife and I sit on the bike (off the stands), then reach down to check that I have about 1/2 inch of play up and down from the resting point of the chain. I then know for sure I have enough freeplay and the chain will not bind.

After my first go, I decided to make a simple tool out of a length small diameter all-thread ; have a 90 degree bend with a couple of inches from the end; put a nut/washer/nut at the tip (to help hook the chain) and then I could both pull and push on the chain to check free play while sitting more upright. The reason for the tool is I almost dumped the bike in garage. The human factor kicked in: I was leaning over checking the adjustment and then my wife leaned over to make sure I was doing it right. :icon_lol:
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Sin_Tiger

You are not alone, I'm not trusted either, apparently Chief Engineer doesn't mean sh1te in our household either  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Spud

I ignore the fuel gauge and just fill up every 200 miles or so. cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Roadinator

Thanks for the info Stitch.  I hit reset on the trip meter this fill up and will continue to do so.  Looking forward to running the right air pressure in the tires!

Making a chain checking tool sounds good.  Will figure it out and have more confidence with it as I do it more often.

Thanks again.

deepsouthtiger

Same here on the fuel gauge. My hasn't worked for years, stuck on "E" regardless of level.  I use the 'ol trip o meter method as well.
Seems its just a Tigger Quirk

Next service I am going to try replacing the gauge "float" thingy when I change the fuel filter.

All the other info on the chain etc. above is correct.   Cheers.
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits