News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dymag wheels

Started by ix, June 13, 2013, 03:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ix

I've found several postings by folks who converted their girlies to 17" Dymag wheels. I'd like to find out more about this: which model, which size, what other bits did you need to get with the wheels, how did you request them, etc.

The Dymag web site seems to be useless. A distributor is probably going to ask me for model/size/accessories, so it would help to have some idea what worked in the past.

- Ix

Chris Canning

Rather than me go into a long ramble do you have a wire wheel 955,because if you haven't I can't help,the latter version has a steeper head angle and I don't think you can do it,plus the fact they are different wheels and it would be a whole new ball game.

ix

Sorry, should have said in the initial post: mine is a 2004 wire-wheel 955i.
- Ix

Chris Canning

I'm sure I've done this before but if I give you 'War and Piece' you pick the bits out that you want.

Must have been around 2002 I have a Dutch friend mail me a photo with absolutely no other info,I'd already fallen out of love with a 19" front wheel having had two 885i's and my 955 for a year.

I track SBF(sticker on the bike) down who are a German bike dealer,they can supply me with rear part of the front mudguard pre drilled,I can get the wheels built locally I spend the next 9 months trying to solve the speedo problem of going from a 19" wheel to a 17" with zero result,almost like a joke I have an email from a guy off what was/is the Yahoo Tiger site from Arkansas!!! telling me about a guy who  can supply a converter in Wollongong Australia by which time I'm thinking yea right,I'll miss the bit out of how I got it!!,finally arrived in the post a 'Yellow Box Converter' and it still works to this day,I order the wheels(in the UK) and the mudguard from Germany and it all fits together,so I guess from start to finish took me around 12 months,it's the silly things!!! look at the photo? see the black strap on the fork leg that the mudguard is attached too,thats a genuine triumph part(not tiger)

After a while decided I wanted to save the hassle of carrying a large rear inner tube(they are a rarity)and wanted to go tubeless,I'd already had dealings with Dymag just phone them up ask for a pair of 7 spoke mag alloys they already had the spec,you can also have them in the original 3 spoke design,when they arrived they come with their own sprocket and cush drive,so both front and rear are a straight replacement.

This is where it gets complicated!!,you put a 17" front with a big fat tyre on the back and you'll be confronted with another motorcycle,you will then need to some work on the suspension,it's taken me some years to fettle it too taste,I'm now only just realising how good it is when looking for a replacement.

Parts you will need.

Dymag wheels

Yellow Box converter

http://www.yellr.com/yb_home.htm

Two black plastic forkleg straps stock T509

I've seen wheels fitted without lowering the mudguard and it looks a silly.

The rear end of the mudguard needing shaving with some holes redrilled which I had sent from Germany but if you go ahead I can do you some detailed photos.

Blimey almost forgot,ideally you will need to shorten the side stand,take the plate off the bottom shorten to order and reweld the plate back on.