News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hello from belgium- charging problems

Started by Wouter, April 22, 2013, 10:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on May 02, 2013, 04:34:23 PM
Mine is similar, not the same.  It's on top of the dash, mounted with some thick double sided sticky rubber whatsits...

Ah, yes, double sided sticky rubber whatsits. Yeah, you can stick anything to anything anywhere with them.  :pottytrain2
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: blacktiger on May 02, 2013, 04:54:59 PM
Quote from: Bixxer Bob on May 02, 2013, 04:34:23 PM
Mine is similar, not the same.  It's on top of the dash, mounted with some thick double sided sticky rubber whatsits...

Ah, yes, double sided sticky rubber whatsits. Yeah, you can stick anything to anything anywhere with them.  :pottytrain2

Aye, that's the ones  :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Wouter

Today the tiger let me down again.  After 1 month troublefree comuting.
I went to work this morning.  After 20km i go on a small ferry.  On the other side the battery is almost dead.
Together with a colleage we pushed it back and rode the next 2 km to work.
After the dayjob the tiger would not start.  No surprise.  Tried to push but no luck.  Started with jumpcables and rode the 25km home (route without the ferry)
Home i measured 12.1 at idle and also at 3000rpm.
Did some checks and i think the stator is fault.
Closed loop between all 3 wires and closed loop to the ground on all 3 wires.

I'll keep you informed.

metalguru

Just to make certain, check output voltage of stator out of circuit but engine running.
Set voltmeter to V AC, should read at least 30VAC @ 3000rpm from all 3 stator wires.

When the charging system is loaded up with high resistance as was your main fuse, this can strain other components and is not long to failure.

This is MOSFET RR.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390442602777?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Just need to make correct connectors, these run with very little if any heat and are much kinder to the stator.

This is the type of connectors required, all available in Be.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360397335835?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

lukeman

Mine was doing the same thing as your bike.  Would continually lose charge until it wouldn't start.  I installed the R/R listed in the above post and couldn't be happier.  I used the connectors there as well. Made a huge difference.  It also bolted directly to the old spot on the 955i so might be the same for yours.  It is barely warm while operating, so lack of airflow isn't a problem for this one.

Cheers.

Wouter

Thanks for the links.
I decided to leave the bike at the dealer.

Marc

Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Wouter

I called the dealer today.
The tiger fixed.  They changed the alternator.
Picking the bike up tomorrow. :XXsunsmile

Advwannabe

Hi Wouter,

Mine fired a stator as well. Might be time to invest in that MOSFET RR seeing you are upgrading your charging system.

Some of the aftermarket connectors are not that good. To check, get everything turning and burning, get the bike up to operating speed then check the connector. Mine was very hot to touch. Replaced the connector with soldered wires and was rewarded with an extra .5 volt output as well.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180