News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ignition bolts

Started by jeffcrigler, June 18, 2013, 07:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffcrigler

Does anybody know the size of the star nut on the underside of the ignition plate of a 2000 tiger
Honda Mini-Trail 50 1970
Honda Mini-trail 70  1970
Honda 170 don't Remember Model
Yamaha MX100
Husqvarna 125 cr 1978
Can Am Bombardier 1979
Kawasaki Vulcan 800 1999
Honda Shadow 1100 2003
Harley V-Rod 2003
Tiger 2000
Sprint 2006
Honda mini trail 70

Mustang

if it's oem it is a shear bolt that the head snaps off when installed . it's anti theft and there is no exact tool for it . :bug_eye
some have had luck with vice grips or hammering a socket over what remains to get a purchase on it .

Sin_Tiger

I don't know how much space there is on Girlies but used to hammer on a number nut and tack weld it in place, the heat also helps.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

metalguru

A theory that has always worked for me is a small centre punch, gently tap with a 2lb hammer to centre dot on the bolt flange. After a good (quite deep)'dot' is acheived then hold the punch at an angle in a direction to unscrew the bolt and hit the dot slightly harder and repeatedly. If the dot fails simply make another on the opposite side of the flange.

These screws cannot be drilled as they are made of steel near-enough as hard as the drill bit!

Perseverance will slowly turn the screws as they are not that tight. To make the job really easy is to remove the top yoke (tree). Replace with M6 (or maybe M8) stainless with a bit of thread lock if required.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.