News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil in my Stator? Does this look bad?

Started by Roadinator, June 23, 2013, 08:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadinator

Well I posted a sound before coming from the stator area.  Folks said that's no big deal.  I fried the volt meter washing the bike and added a new one.  No real voltage issues, except sometimes it will drop down to 12.2 at idle or slow speed for a bit and then go back up to 14.2 (where it lives most of the time).  Riding yesterday the "grinding sound came back, only the second time I have noticed it.  I am heading out on Wednesday for a 1000 mile road trip (my first long distance solo trip), so the nerves are running a little high about the "sound" coming back.  I took off the cover for the stator and out poured oil (to my surprise).  I did find two of the three bolts holding the stator are loose and sticking out.  This must be the grinding sound I hear sometimes.  I should be able to tighten those.  Can I use lock tight on them?  The question is the oil.  I have read sometimes there is a small oil bath to help cool/lube the stator or is it an oil seal leak?  Not sure if the '05 Tiger uses oil or not.  I did read in the manual the previous owner replaced the stator/RR about 15k ago.  I have included pics that show the bolts and the oil.  Do I need to address the oil issues or just tighten stator blots and put the cover back on?  Should I clean the stator with some electronic spray cleaner?  I also noticed it looked like they used high temp gasket stuff for a gasket.  Can I do the same thing or do you need a triumph gasket?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated as I leave in two days and don't want to worry about this the whole trip!

Here are the picks:

2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

Mustang

the oil is perfectly fine ....tighten stator bolts put cover back on . go ride

NKL

Good god that was lucky with those stator bolts loose, have you seen the damage that normally leads too, have you done the lottery?
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Roadinator

Yes, starting some nice damage from the bolts:

Looks like I have one bent bolt and one that has the head mangled enough to not be able to use:

Guess I have to order these or can I find something that will work at the hardware store?  Can I add some lock tight to them?  Do I need a Triumph gasket to go back on our create my own with the high temp orange stuff?

Thanks for the fast answers.  I keep learning every week!

metalguru

They look like normal standard duty screws, so if you can source from a local shop it will be ok. Use threadlock and tighten to recommended torque (or they can loosen)!!!

As for a gasket, it is good practice to use one as it keeps working tolerances as they should be.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Roadinator

Thanks for the info.  Do I need to worry about getting oil back in there?  I am cleaning it out because of some metal bits that might be floating around, but didn't know how it regulates the oil in there.

Advwannabe

No, a little oil will find it's way back in there by itself, ahouls be fine.

I use Locktite 222 on my stator bolts, the weakest strength stuff, just to give me a little peace of mind so that I don't over torque them.

The other thing in that assy that sometimes needs replacing is the cranckcase vent seal on the balance shaft just forward of the stator.  If this seal starts leaking you may find more oil in the airbox housing.

Too late to worry about before you go and it won't do much harm anyway. If you notice your oil cosumption is up a bit while you are away, check your airbox for oil when you get back and replace the seal. It is a complex labrinth seal and you are better off getting the shop to press the old one out/new one in for you, but you should be able to handle reinstallation fine.

Enjoy your trip!
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Roadinator

Thanks again for the help.  I did read about the oil in the airbox.  Will probably check it and see when I get back.  Hoping I can track down some bolts tomorrow!