News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

rattling header assembly?

Started by Marc, April 18, 2012, 02:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

When gently knocking the exhaust system with my fist, its rattling.  It's not the heat shield, not the clamp, not the silencer, not the sumpgard pan, not the lambda.
As I can hear, I think it must be inside the header, somewhere here:

Has the header dubble walls?.. or is there possible something that can come loose inside :?:

Any experience?
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Timbox2

I havent got an answer as my bike is gone now, but mine did the same, I too came to the conclusion that it was inside
2016 Tiger Sport

Marc

It's already a year ago now, and the rattling is still there, even increased  :icon_evil:  it makes me neurotic!

Really no one with a clue or experience? Anyway i'm not in to buy a new header !
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Chris Canning

All modern stuff is double skinned thats how manafacturers get around the pipe discolouring and you can't see it,and hence why after market/custom pipes singled skinned go that goldie/blue colour.

Marc

What about this option: drill a hole and secure with a Parker screw and loctite?
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Sin_Tiger

I'd be tempted to dismantle the complete system to check out there is actually anything loose or rattling about inside.  The Steamer systems were very,  ahem, robustly welded internally. It's possible extra weld is floating about, bit of a long shot but having a good look won't do any harm  :icon_study:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Marc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 26, 2013, 11:58:44 PM
It's possible extra weld is floating about, bit of a long shot but having a good look won't do any harm

Yeah you're probably right on that  :doubt
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39