News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

WTB: Connector cat-eliminator pipe

Started by LiveandLetDrive, April 03, 2013, 07:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiveandLetDrive

Got a TOR can and would like to hear it in full glory.  I could gut the cat but I'd prefer to acquire or make a bypass pipe.  Any leads?  I'll buy new if there is somewhere that sells them separately but so far I've only found ones that come with a full exhaust.

East San Jose, contact by PM.

T885i_Blk

Here  http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/triumph/tiger_885i_from_vin_71699_upto_vin_124105_855cc_t709/98-00/picture/viper_link_pipe_kit/

allthough, I bought some 955i downpipes off a popular auction site for half the price and made my own! all you need in addition is an inline clamp.

I have a 1999 885i and it sounds good with the TOR and link pipe. FYI it's not a cat, it's a collector box and this mod reduces torque but adds some top end and a lovely growl.

Good Luck
Tiger 885i 1999

LiveandLetDrive

Yikes, at that price for 12 inches of tube, DIY is attractive!  I see an 05+ link pipe for a bit less but not sure if that'll be the same.  I know it's the same on the outlet end but maybe the headers changed?  The pictures look slightly different but seem to point generally the same directions...

So you were able to find a suitable bend in a section of the headers and just chop it up?  Didn't have to "shrink" the outlet end to fit inside the inlet to the silencer?

I think in CA it may have been an actual cat but I could be wrong.

T885i_Blk

I took the last ~12inches after the headers meet. the silencer is already the right size to fit over it and when you have cut off the bracket you can match it up to your existing headers, all you need then is a 42-44mm OD exhaust coupler (advise measuring your first) to attach it to your headers. these are cheap enough to find on ebay or a local motor factors.

I fitted it all using a exhaust joint sealant and it looks smart with no blows.  Takes the same route so doesnt interfere with centre stand, if you have one.
Tiger 885i 1999

LiveandLetDrive

Do NOT buy that part from WeMoto!  I got lazy and paid up to go the "easy" route.

Firstly, it doesn't even come close to fitting.  It tries to go right through the frame no matter how I try to orient it.  I even removed the center stand but it's a non-removable part of the frame and the brake linkage creating the conflict.  You'd have to smash it to bits or cut away half the pipe to make it fit.

Secondly, what they sent is marked ">2005" which they claim means "up to 2005."  ...  No.  No it does not.  Furthermore up to 2005 makes no sense as the above images show, 2001 and on has no such thing as a link pipe.  After 2005 doesn't make sense either so who knows.

In the end I'll either be doing a return from them or canceling the charge on my card, depending how cooperative they start becoming.  I opened up my cat to gut it but it's welded so many ways it is a bit of a mess.  I may ultimately end up using that 1 3/4" tubing I've already bought anyway.  At least with 8' of it I can screw up the first few attempts!

LiveandLetDrive

Correction:  Actually, don't buy this for another reason entirely!  This is supposed to go from the collector box to the Viper brand muffler.  It serves no purpose in my case!  Repeat, this is not a collector eliminator pipe!