News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

01 955i engine issue

Started by nikonvt, August 08, 2013, 01:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikonvt

Could be in a pickle here. Got a trip to CT next week and started having a problem with the tiger on my way to work last night. Steady speed, plenty of fuel and just cruising and theres a cut to the power/engine dies. It's only out a second or two and the check engine light comes on and fuel light. I can continue w throttle and she goes and after a couple blips of throttle lights go off and all good. Did it twice last night and 3x this.morning on the way home. Thinking fuel pump? (efi) I had an issue a month or so ago with it dying when I pulled in the clutch (iacv) and this is different.  No puddle, leaks or anything obvious.
01 955i

Bixxer Bob

I would check the back of the ign switch first. Bad solder joints / broken wires are a known fault. Quick(ish) to do and easy to fix if you can use a soldering iron.  I could also say squirt some WD40 in th lock and jiggle the key back and forth, on and off a few times to free and dirty contacts but there's no way of knowing its done immediately and you need to be fairly sure you fixed it straight off with your trip coming up.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

:iagree

May be a good time to lube the clutch and sidestand switches too.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

nikonvt

Ok guys, thanks.  I am gonna do a tear down in the next few days (sun prolly) and do a number of things.  I dropped $40 on a new fuel pump too, just to be safe as I don't have the time to get in and find out that was the problem and then deal with ordering/shipping.

Here's my intent:  -lube IACV (from previous issue)
-change plastic fittings for quick disconnects (got new ones a while back just never dove in)
-check wiring to ignition and all points I can see, including grounds for loose connections
-fuel pump
-lube clutch/sidestand switches.

Anything else while I'm in there?  I don't have the ability to plug it in and check codes at this point and the closest Trumpet dealer is about 100mi away.

Will
01 955i

NortonCharlie

I am thinking the ignition switch also, I had one I needed to re solder all the connections.  Might check out the fuel pump relay.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando